• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Fortuitous

I'm convinced that the lack of modern day discipline is going to ruin the future generations. Believe me I knew right from wrong and the fear of my parents finding out guided a lot of my childhood decisions.

Thanks Jim, that word certainly has a nice ring to it. I tend to agree with Mr Dave above me. There are not any consequences for negative actions it feels like. I grew up with the belt and it didn't take me too long to learn I didn't like it. Although to hear my parents talk one would think I was rather fond of a tanned backside.

As a new Parent, I dread the thought of having to navigate through such an ordeal...

I have my own thoughts on Parenting. They resemble more of a 1960 parenting style than 2013 (or so I hear). I don't believe in abusing a child, but I do believe that they should know who is boss, understand consequences and fear the result of poor decision making. I also think that children should appreciate the luxuries that they have. If they only knew how much effort it takes to make ends meet (not just financially) they might appreciate what they have just a little bit more.

My parents tell me that the emotional toll of punishing me hurt them more than it hurt me. I believe that, and I thank them for enduring it. Other children in my family didn't get the same treatment/attention and it shows as adults.

Ask me how this philosophy worked out in about 25 years!

HD

Thanks Jim, that word certainly has a nice ring to it. I tend to agree with Mr Dave above me. There are not any consequences for negative actions it feels like. I grew up with the belt and it didn't take me too long to learn I didn't like it. Although to hear my parents talk one would think I was rather fond of a tanned backside.

My dad {rip}, aside from a race car owner / builder / driver, was also a United States Marine tank commander ---- he absolutely didn't abuse me or my two brothers, both my parents treated us with great love and respect --- BUT dad was a US Marine through and through and did believe in being accountable for your actions.
Dad had a "paddle board" with a nice hand carved handle and the words "United States Marine Corps" burn etched across both sides.
There was one time {ONCE} when I got in trouble for bullying and beating up a school mate, then taking his lunch money.
My dad was quite upset about me bullying an innocent and weaker classmate --- BUT, when he found out I took his lunch money, that was when he told me I was gonna be introduced to the justice of the United States Marine Corps.....
Out came the paddle and across my behind it was struck repeatedly.
In hind sight I realize dad didn't really strike me very hard with that paddle, just enough to give me red cheeks for awhile AND to let me know that bullying and stealing was just NOT GONNA BE TOLERATED in our household.
I was nine years old when that happened ---- never needed USMC justice again.......

NEVER EVER STOLE ANYTHING EVER AGAIN AND NEVER EVER PICKED ON A DEFENSELESS FELLOW PERSON EVER AGAIN>>>>PERIOD<<<<

RIP dad.....love u miss u ------- SEMPER FI

I had a similar instance in my youth....about same age....with a wooden paddle. That was the one and only time also.

My older sister never seemed to learn though. No matter how much she had taken away, how many times the paddle came out, or how many times she was grounded....she never learned. Needless to say I had a great example of what not to do! Yes, it still shows through to this day. She has turned into basically a Neo-Hippie despite we were raised the same. She has a job, and has 3 kids, and is a good mother surprisingly but her life decisions suck most of the time. She tends to just use people vs respect them causing relationships not to last. Makes family gatherings interesting to say the least and she only comes around when she is being given or wants something.

Great story as usual Jimway:bigthumb:

Like the guys above posted, when I was out of line, the belt came out. No sure why, but it happened on several occasions. Not sure if I was stubborn, stupid, thought I wouldn't get caught or just didn't care, but it took awhile for me to learn. I deserved it when it happened and learned for every action there is a reaction. The fear of my parents (more so my dad) finding out altered many of my decisions throughout childhood. Make a bad choice and bad things happen! Kinda like real life, huh? The fear at that time turned into respect as I "grew up". I understand why they did what they did and will do the same with my children.

I had two great parents, but then again I was the perfect child. Never found any mischief or trouble to get into...................ever!

:rof:

I do like to read J.W.'s prose.

;)

I really enjoyed your story Jimway.
Although in the end it worked out the truth is if that kid would of pulled a knife on the wrong person,(including myself) He would have been shot. Then that would have been the end of the story.
Thank the LORD you were no seriously hurt but for your foot.

I was thinking about the topic of discipline again this morning and how my parents handled things.

Interestingly enough, to this day I worry about letting my parents down. Obviously, I value the opinion of my Wife first and foremost, but staying in my parents good graces is something that never went away. I wonder why?:sssh:

HD

I would call that a good upbringing. One should always honor their parents.:thumb:
Discipline is one of the biggest things missing in the world today. Also a sense of responsablilty and for people to stop making excuses for why this and why that happens.

Last edited:
Please accept a heart felt Thanks from out this way. I look forward to hearing what you all think and what you might be up to. Thank You.

Jims story sure does make us all think about the good ole days when the only worries was make sure to keep mom and dad happy and proud. I knew what a butt whoopin was and new how to avoid that. It worked for me and my kids were brought up the same way. I dont remember givin any whoopins after they were 7 or 8 and they often thank me for keeping them on track. That boy is lucky Jimway was such a nice fella and the knife he pulled didnt cost him his life. Always enjoy these stories.

This is a great story and has a good ending, so far. The kid is really lucky Jim felt safe enough about not using the gun in his pocket.

I'm wondering how old Junior is? I ask because a whipping is effective up to a point and up to a certain age. If the kid is under 14 yrs old then maybe this is the end of it. But somewhere around 13-15 yrs old a boy who pulls out a knife to commit a crime, should face charges, and a judge.

Not discussing where I grew since a lot of you already know. My mom and dad sacrificed a lot to provide for my brother and I and our sister. My mom was the caretaker and the old man was the disciplinarian. We always dreaded his coming home from work when one of us knew that we had misbehaved and there was going to be price paid.
I look back at my early years and although we didn't have much, What we did have a lot of was Love and respect. And a complete family structure that is sorely lacking today. There were boundaries set by my parents that we knew we had better not cross.
Now the family is broken down. Kids are being raised by single parents if there is one at all.These kids are being raised and tought by the society at large not by the parents.It is deeply saddening to see what is happening around us. And also terrifying at he same time. :(:(

Back