• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Fresh air in the bilge to make more power.

Just my thoughts.

Every time I see a boat or a car with a big scoop I expect to here something that rattles the ground when it starts. Its very disappointing to here something start with a huge scoop that has a stock motor. The look I get on my face is the same look a kid gets at Christmas time when he opens his present and finds clothes :(

LOL, i'm with ya on that. I don't care for the 'all show/no go' look. Mike, if you are going to scoop the deck, go for a low wide look. It will do what you are looking for but not be over the top. :bigthumb:

Appreciate the feedback....the big scoop will have to wait until I can afford a fire-breathing replacement for the 350 mag. :devil: Been doing alot of reading on 350 builds in old threads, very interesting. One double edge sword I see is building a 350 too strong for the Alpha drive to handle but it's been done several times.

Appreciate the feedback....the big scoop will have to wait until I can afford a fire-breathing replacement for the 350 mag. :devil: Been doing alot of reading on 350 builds in old threads, very interesting. One double edge sword I see is building a 350 too strong for the Alpha drive to handle but it's been done several times.

Weeeelll.... that depends. I have no experience on blowing up and lower unit, outboard or inboard. But i've had some really angry motors behind stock drives in the past and all went well. No hard launches (no longer pull skiers), no wave jumping and uber-maintenance. A good A-1 will hold 400hp 400#ft with care. Install a drive shower and keep the oil fresh and it will be fine. My 202 Persuader was about to lose it motor to Andy Jensen Racing for a massage to 425hp for around $4500 on pump fuel, but this 234 with a 454 already over 400 hp got in the way :)

Back