• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

gelcoat repair

vinny p.

This is my first post here. I think I am posting it in the correct place.
I have a question for the experts. I have a '99 259 Convicor checkered flag edition. I have a small scratch in the Mercury Blue part of my checker flag that comes up the side of the hull. The scratch is not deep, but waxing and light compounds have not been able to remove it. There is a slight indentation, so the top coat of gelcoat is damaged. How is the best way to repair this?
thanks in advance..

Welcome Vinny, Your in the right spot. I can't help much, but give us a little time and I'm sure help is on the way.

2982rooster_3.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

You can get that color from the factory in a touch-up bottle, give them a call at: 419-562-3881. Fill the gell into the damaged area, then wet sand it all out and buff it up.

1995 2100BR/1995 225 Promax/23" Tempest

Vinny,
Your best bet is to take it to the dealer or a reputable person who knows gel coat and have them wet sand the scratch out and re-polish it nad you will never see the repair. If you touch it up, you will see the reapair and it will not look good. Checkmate sprays there gel about 22 mils thick which leave room for wet sanding and polishing time after time again. From the way you describes the scratch, it should not take more than 2 hours to fix and for an example, my charge to fix it better than new would be $.80.00. I hope that helps and do not be afraid to have somone qualified to do that repair, it is very easy if you know what you are doing.

Back