• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

gelcoat resto 79 jetmate II

sherm91

ok, so i just got this 79 Jetmate II its in pretty good shape need some interior work but the biggest problem is somone brushed on what looks like a polyurethane clear on it and it looks like total trash. it looks like they brushed it on then tryed to and it off, the gelcoat is still good under it and buffs out good where i wet sanded it off. I was hoping someone would have a better or faster way to get that stuff off. its only on the top deck it looks like. Ill post some pics when i can so you can see it.

Play it safe and keep doing what your doing. Not to many "safe" ways to remove paint if you haven't had much experience. You'll know when you have hit gel-coat, because it is much harder to wet sand. Looking forward to the pics. Good luck and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
:welcome:

Ok so started sanding it with 600 took the stuff of pretty well but switched to 400 and it really took it off fast. So I'm thinking I'm gonna do 400,600,1000,1500 then buffet and see how that looks

Just be careful with the 400. Try a spot with the 400,600,1000,1500 then buff and see how it does. let us know. Post some pics would like to see. I have a 72 Jetmate.

Go easy when using the 400, it's going to leave alot of scratches in the gelcoat that'll be a PITA to remove.

Back