• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I Have Something In My Eyes..

Blue Mist '97

It has come down to this. I have a potential/probable buyer for my old wood boat. The buyers are coming down from Dallas this weekend to look at it. They have put down deposit money without even seeing the boat in person, so they are more than just tire kickers. I am having mixed emotions about this.

On one hand, this is my baby. I spent many, many hours, after work till wee hours of the morning, all day on the weekends for over a year, stripping, cleaning, sanding, taping, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, varnishing, (did I mention) more sanding, more varnishing, chasing down new chrome fittings and having other old fittings re-chromed, sealing new found leaks, etc. Not to mention, rebuilding the old, existing trailer with many new parts to make it roadworthy again in my spare time. Installation of the 115 Etec put this restoration over the top for me. There is plenty of power and reliability for a 51 year old boat.

Now on the other hand, selling this boat could be a god send. NO MORE hours and hours of stripping, cleaning, sanding, taping, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, varnishing, (did I mention) more sanding, more varnishing, chasing down new chrome fittings and having other old fittings re-chromed, sealing new found leaks, etc. It will save me a lot of time and energy, not to mention $1100 a year in boat storage fees. It will give me more time to work exclusively on the Checkmate.

We are, again, supposed to have more bad weather this weekend, so I may get a one week reprieve before I have to make a decision. I doubt they will drive 4 hours in rain to look at a boat, but I am game if they are.

It’s Saturday and the potential buyers showed up. I took them for a little spin in the boat and they were happy as clams. They told me that they were ready to do a deal. No questions, no arguments, no negotiations. They handed me CASH money, so I said "Hook it up" and gave them the titles and the new state paperwork. Done Deal!!!!! Bye Bye Baby!!!

The realization that my baby was leaving behind somebody else’s vehicle finally hit me as I watched them driving away. I was filled with lots of different emotions and I kept rubbing my eyes. My wife asked me what was wrong. I told her that I must have something in my eyes, must be from the wind. As usual, she brought me back to reality. She said, “Here, this will make you feel better, just wipe your eyes with one of these $100 bills.” As usual, she was right. I laughed. It must have helped, cause I do feel better now.

Attachments

• 20150613_135004.jpg
    20150613_135004.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20150613_135634.jpg
    20150613_135634.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 60
Congratulations! And sorry to hear of your loss.
What are you going to do with all that free time now that you're
not doing all that sanding, varnishing and polishing?
You're gonna have to get a life.:rof:
This could be very good. Or very bad.
Report back.

Lol, sorry for your loss. I'll donate my boat if you need some polishing to fill your void. Seriously though, congratulations on your sale. It sounds like it went to a good home.

She said, “Here, this will make you feel better, just wipe your eyes with one of these $100 bills.” As usual, she was right. I laughed. It must have helped, cause I do feel better now.

Our woman seem to have a way of being right more often than not -- especially about money and practicality --Dam' them..........
Well that's why they're the boss I guess.

To tell you the truth Pat, I kinda got a little teary eyed reading about you selling the woody --- but when you hop in the Checkmate, open her up, make some noise, you know you'll feel just fine.

Congrats Pat on the sale :cheers:

Kurt

Our woman seem to have a way of being right more often than not -- especially about money and practicality --Dam' them..........
Well that's why they're the boss I guess.

To tell you the truth Pat, I kinda got a little teary eyed reading about you selling the woody --- but when you hop in the Checkmate, open her up, make some noise, you know you'll feel just fine.

Congrats Pat on the sale :cheers:

Kurt

Yep, you are exactly right.

Now that sounds like the right thing to do. In fact, I think I will do that next Friday. Haven't been out much in the Check this year, so now I should have more time to do just that.

It wasn't an old woody, but I felt the exact same way when I sold my Starflite I restored. She was my first boat and my wife and I had a lot of blood sweat and tears into her. And I to "got something in my eye from the wind" when I watched her pull away hooked to somebody else's truck. But, luckily, I had my Convincor setting in my boat barn at the lake, and headed straight down there for some therapy.

And like Droptop said, if you ever get a hankering for polishing that you just cant satisfy, I'll be more than happy to lend you my Checkmate to fill the void!!!

Back