• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Looking for input on Mercury 135 Black Max recent Constant alarm

DavidNC50

Hi everyone I need some input from those who know more than me....

OK so boat has been sitting for 3-4 years. I drained gas and did the usual routine to get motor fired up after sitting. After getting all the sour fuel out I was good. I also put some straight 2 stroke oil in the cylinders before starting and spun it over. It seemed to run OK. In addition, a new impeller was installed before the boat was parked and only run 1 time to test for proper function.
1988 Mercury Black Max 135
SN- 0B384334
6" set back manual lift

So now to my issues:
1- I didn't hear the Beeeeeeep Beep Beep when turning on ignition. I swear it used to have it? I honestly don't remember.

2- Boat smoked and seemed normal when Idling at home. It did not seem to (pee) right when hooked to a hose. I also had it in a tank but did not cover exhaust on lower. When boat was put in the water it seemed to flow water out telltale in 30secs to 1 min.....seemed normal.

3- So when I did finally run it...I get up on plane great power.... all seems normal...does have water pressure...then Beeeeeeep! SO I kill the engine and float for a few while I just kinda look everything over. Looks ok so I decide to fire back up and see if I have tone. No warning alarm. Kick it in gear seems good at idle low throttle. Power up to plane....same after a few...1000yds on plane? I loaded it up and went back to the house.

Now when I got home I realized 1 thing I did forget. I had forgotten to reinstall the water inlet block kit (it was on boat when built/bought)....That does kinda act like a ram air for the water intake... especially when a motor is raised. I'm wondering now if that was the problem. Everytime I stopped and gave it a few there was no alarm again until I hit plane & decent speed 45+.

So as far as I know that is always overheating or oiling issue (constant tone)
Oil....it is smoking?

I am reading the Clymer manual and reading online. I consider myself competent in repairs mechanical and electrical. I am veeeerrrry new to outboards. This is my 1st. I'm hoping some of the Mercury pros can offer your expertise and help me along. I DO NOT want to damage this engine. I know I have got some diagnostics ahead of me.

> Want to add a temp gauge!why are they not there factory ...smh.

WickedWrister...I think I spelled that right.... If your still around buddy... please drop a line if you might have any input. I know you know ever nut and bolt on this boat!

Gonna add an update...I really think my issues were related to that water plate being off and the engine couldn't get proper flow on plane. If anyone has experience with em and wants to comment please do. I'd also love any info or advise from those who have added...about the addition of a temp gauge. I dont have a free spot in the dash....combo gauge? I will update this post. It will be next days off before I can go back.

Boat2.jpg

Back