• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Merc 175 Black Max on 16'5ft Predictor?

Tyannt

have a late 80's early 90's Merc 175 BM on an 83 Predictor, which has had the rear bench seat removed and glassed over. Reasoning was to keep water coming over the stern with the weight of the 175. Is this boat not capable of handling a 175 without swamping everytime ya slow down a bit too quick?? I have not had it in the water yet so i can't elaborate !

I bought the boat, motor and trailer for the motor and trailer, with thoughts of picking up a larger boat ie Exciter for the motor. Do I need to?

I do have a 2nd 83 Predictor..no alterations to put it on if they handle the motor and i want the rear bench seat.

Advice; use on one of the Predictors or look for another boat?

Appreciated ;)

Last edited:
have a late 80's early 90's Merc 175 BM on an 83 Predictor, which has had the rear bench seat removed and glassed over. Reasoning was to keep water coming over the stern with the weight of the 175. Is this boat not capable of handling a 175 without swamping everytime ya slow down a bit too quick?? I have not had it in the water yet so i can't elaborate !

I bought the boat, motor and trailer for the motor and trailer, with thoughts of picking up a larger boat ie Exciter for the motor. Do I need to?

I do have a 2nd 83 Predictor..no alterations to put it on if they handle the motor and i want the rear bench seat.

Advice; use on one of the Predictors or look for another boat?

Appreciated ;)

I say try it and see how it works. I have had a Merc V6 on the back of my Predictor. No swamping problem, but I could see how it was a concern. I lifted the stern of mine a bit by putting some weight in the front, helped with the porpoising a bit, too. Now I will say the V6 seems a lot less of a weight problem on my Eluder and Enchanter.

Once you know it can happen you adjust your driving style a little and it’s never an issue, my old inboard Eluder was capable of having water come over the stern when it dropped back into the water coming off plane. But if you didn’t come to a dead stop right away, it was not an issue.

I had a 16'5 Enticer (Open Bow version) that had a V6 150 on it for years with a L&S jack plate and I can tell you it never swamped a bit. should weigh in the same as your 175.

Back