• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mercury 60hp outboard starter issue

Johnboylong

Hello all! So i replaced my starter on our Mercury 60hp 4 stroke EFI outboard on our 16’ Arima Explorer. The odd thing is when i use the trim/tilt the starter bumps up like its going to go up and engage the crank. When the motor is on and running it really jumps up and smacks the crank. Im guessing thats from the additional charge (volts) from the motor to the system? Anyway, not sure if i did something wrong or what. Got all the paint off the new starter and checked surfacesand cables for good ground. Also, when we took it out is when we noticed the trim issue. The thing really struggled to lift the motor while we were underway. I thought a branch or something was logged at the lower unit or something. With the motor off though it lifts and lowers great, but you can see the starter jump a little every time you hit the trim button. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks ahead of time. Gary

Check wiring at starter to make sure that one of the tilt leads, especially the black lead from the up relay is not connected to negative side of starter solenoid. Might be a good idea to scope out a wiring diagram for that year engine also.

Stater issue

Thank you I’ll look for an electrical diagram for that motor and see if I can find where those wires hook to.

Back