• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

MX 14 Clone? Floor, stringer, transom... first time, help

Ben03west

Hello, my name is Ben. I am 17 and cant get enough of being on the water! I have recently purchased what I belive to be an MX 14 clone of somekind. I have only seen pictures of 4 other like mine and they have all been called Checkmates, but I do not think they are actually mates, rather a distant canadian built cousin. Possibly a fibertron?? If anyone has info I'd be delighted to know. Will get pics up soon

I purchased the boat for a smoking deal even considering the work it needs. 14ft, 90hp Johnson, paint will be buffed to a beautiful metal flake, and the interior will be retro fitted to the nines! But I digress...

Aswell as identifying the boat, I am looking for some restoration advise. I'm on a tightish budget, looking to use low grade ply and fiberglass cloth(which I already have). When I opened the boat up I found no stringers, just some foam under the deck. I plan on putting stringers back in the boat, however I am not sure of a designe to use and how many. Boat has a 4 or 5 inch wide pad. Also likely looking at raising the transom hieght a couple inches or so to accommodate the long shaft a bit better, hopefully building a knee brace into the stringer(s) aswell. Would like the boat to be light, but well built as things have know to exalte quickly with the friends around..;) will be used for getting around, going fast(ish), and skiing.

Looking forward to your advise! Cheers

Sc5mZI.jpgEC67UT.jpg
h4tMis.jpgQxIfJB.jpg
thank you for your responses. this is the boat, may help identify it. still looking for some technical advise on doing the transom, stringers, and deck. how many stringers? transom thickness? how many layers of bi axial cloth? do i have to cover the entire stringer(s)? should i put expanding foam into the boat?

Last edited:
Any chance you could post some better pics of the top, front of the boat?? It looks like a raised portion where a windshield or wind deflector would be?? My MX-14/Cobra deck is pretty much flat.

Ok, using the wife's ipad and was able to blow up the pics. That may be a Checkmate bottom but that is not a Checkmate or Cobra deck.

1954, I believe the Cobra brand was the precursor to Baja. They started by buying some old CM MX molds.

yes it has a raised section where a windshield would be. defiantly not a Cmate deck as you said, but I'm fairly certain it is a Cmate hull, or at-least very very similar. I'm in contact with a gentlemen who has owned two of these boat and says they are Fiberform boats, but there is no information on them... found another one of theses boats forsale with with a transport Canada tag on it that says it was made by "World Craft" and the model in "star trac". a google search yields no results. a very puzzling little boat.

nonetheless i am still looking for some technical advise. I have look at the thread with the MX 14 restoration as suggested, and it is very informative. however, it appears his boat is cored, or at least cored in the pad, there for he has a very small stringer. mine in not cored, so im wondering if one stringer will be enough? or if i should have two running down either side of the pad, similar to some hydro streams.

thanks again for the replies,

Cheers Ben

Actually, I would think it is up to you, I have a MX-14/ Cobra and after Instigator (on here) replaced my transom, I replaced the floor with 1/2 inch marine plywood, I put a stringer down the center which was made up of two layers of the 1/2 inch ply glued together. If it would make you feel better, you could always put two stringers on either side. Depending on your carpenter skills you could make the knees as one piece.

Back