• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New checkmate owner

Wreckit340

Hello to everyone!! First time checkmate owner looking forward for any help or info possible on my restoration journey. Thanx in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106-201434_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106-201434_Messenger.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 16
Hello! Very happy to be a new (1988) Checkmate owner! Starliner Bowrider! Greetings from Sweetwater NJ!

Attachments

• 20220904_162938.jpg
    20220904_162938.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 21
Welcome! 64waves you seem to have my old boat now, good luck with it, that is a nice set up

Hello, do tell! Yes very happy so far, just got her in late August. Anything you can share would be appreciated. Had to play with the bilge fuse to get that going, but playing with the fuel gauge fuse has made the fuel gauge not work. Have her in hibernation now. Finding the shadow of VA numbers on her when I changed the numbers was interesting. She's been around.

I bought the boat on here from member knarloid with a 150 on it, he lived in North jersey. I did the jack plate, the 250, the prop, the steering, the cover, the trailer. It is a solid ride. I sold it to a guy on Long beach Island NJ, not sure who you bought it from. But that boat is all original and clean when I got it, how is it now? The only thing I saw when it was on craigslist was someone hit the skeg on the lower. The wiring on the boat is pretty simple, I remember the fuel gauge acted up on me and the wire behind the gauge on the dash was loose. That motor was a real low hour motor when I got it, I think it is a 2005 motor that sat in a shop in Bayville (fullers marine) when I bought it.

Oh it's in great shape, unbelievable. I got it from the guy that bought from the Long Beach Island guy. It was in MD. He only had it 2 years. The bilge wasn't working and the hose leaked, trying to crawl back there and get it replaced, but got too cold. I do see a couple hit marks on the hull, but overall for her age she's great. Went by the book to winterize the motor. Had a couple people with me for that. My first boat but my brother's both had checkmates over the years. My older brother currently has a '86. We got it to 65mph with 3 passengers on the test drive. It leaked a bit of fuel into the water at the end of the test drive, but haven't seen it since. I get it to 35-40mph right now. Always been around boats and drove them, but never had my own. Thanks for the info on the fuel gauge, I'll take a look at it in the spring. Yep 2005 motor. I heard it had a Yamaha before or something like that. Was looking at getting bigger cleats, but not finding the screw width that would match. We took it to AC the day we picked it up. I have the second dark blue cover on it now, barely fit. The vents don't line up exactly with the light blue canvas poles, but at least it's on. Don't have somewhere indoors to put it. Thanks for all the info!

Attachments

• 20220904_162920.jpg
    20220904_162920.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221120_115429.jpg
    20221120_115429.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 10
That cover was made by someone fullers uses-very snug fit---toooo snug. It is in amazing shape for an all original boat, that boat was never restored, just well taken care of. It had a 150 yamaha I traded for the steering and rigging of the 250 and jack plate. The original painted trailer I sold and put the Galv. under it. I used it in the Manasquan area and stored it in my garage when not in use.

Yes I wish I had a garage for it. But I don't have anything to trail it either yet, I have a ramp on my property, so we're talking 70-80ft from where it is to the water. Yes I am very very lucky, it's just what I was looking for. I have to crawl into the back and replace the bilge hose, leaking, and the one clamp where it leaves the boat is rusted up. Playing twister to get back there, may have to take the seat out. But that's for the spring. Just glad I was able to winterize it by myself (with spotters the first time around). How was the throttle cable for you? Once in forward it's hard to push it forward and doesn't sound happy. I have videos that get oil in the cable, so I'll do that also in the spring. I bought from a guy who only had it 2 years, if the trailer is 2016, the guy you sold to only had it a short time also. Unless you sold it to Trip. There are shadows of VA registration, I figure there's been like 4 or 5 owners.

The steering probably needs some grease. Ask Fullers marine and machine in Bayvile they installed it. I sold it to a guy in LBI who sold it 2 years later to the guy you must have bought it from ( I assume thats Trip). So 4 or 5 owners easy. I just changed a bunch of rusty hose clamps on my current checkmate----real pain in the butt, checkmate was not the master of easy access....lol

Hello again, just wondering how many years you owned the boat, and did you do any impeller replacements? I only see a kit with the housing included available. Any input would be helpful. I appreciate it and have a good day.

I had it 2 years and it was done when the motor was installed. I did not do it again and sold the boat for a 30 foot boat.

Ok, thanks, guess it's on my schedule for the spring. Thanks again for all the info and Happy Holidays.

Back