• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New Engine - 300r or Pro XS?

Hey guys I'm repowering my 2100 BR to a 4 stroke. I've been advised to go with the 300 Pro XS over the 300R for a few reasons. Mainly because the torquemaster gear case has a smaller diameter and is shorter (front to back) which will reduce drag. My dealer (who is great) doesn't think the extra horse of the 300R will overcome the extra drag from the larger sporty diameter and length, especially at the angle of attack I'd likely be running it. What do you guys think? Has anyone else tried either motor on a 2100 yet? I went ahead and ordered the Pro XS because up north here we can't get any 300Rs until 2022 but I'd still like to know if it would be the way to go down the road.

Hey guys I'm repowering my 2100 BR to a 4 stroke. I've been advised to go with the 300 Pro XS over the 300R for a few reasons. Mainly because the torquemaster gear case has a smaller diameter and is shorter (front to back) which will reduce drag. My dealer (who is great) doesn't think the extra horse of the 300R will overcome the extra drag from the larger sporty diameter and length, especially at the angle of attack I'd likely be running it. What do you guys think? Has anyone else tried either motor on a 2100 yet? I went ahead and ordered the Pro XS because up north here we can't get any 300Rs until 2022 but I'd still like to know if it would be the way to go down the road.
It basically depends on how fast a boat is. Typically a Checkmate doesn’t take advantage of a sporty because it can’t run well over 80 miles an hour. Checkmates also typically need bowlift which a regular gear case is better at. Only in rare cases does a Mate benefit from a sporty. 300 hp puts you where it’s a great question, unfortunately you can’t really know unless you can try both (which is not all that easy). Sounds to me like your dealer is giving you good advice.
If you want to use your boat for all around purposes I would vote torquemaster but if you’re only looking for top speed I’d try the sporty with a lot of setback.

I have a 300R on a 2400 Pulsare and it has a torquemaster gear case (you can get it with a Sportsmaster if you wish). A 2100 closed deck should run 85 mph with either engine if it is set up right. Wildman has run over 95 mph with 2100 closed deck and a 300XS but he can drive it as well. People have run the new Torquemaster to 85 mph without blowout. The 2100 has a pad and will run with higher motor heights than the 2400. If you get a Sportsmaster you have to jack it up higher to get it to run due to the larger size of the gearcase. My 300R is a 2019 and it has the lower water pickup plus 3 holes on each side. I have heard that Mercury changed the newer ones back to 5 holes per side, so you will not be able to raise it as high unless you plug some of the holes. I would call Wildman and ask him how high the lower unit should be on a 2100 and how much you give up in handling (chine walking) and speed if the lower unit is restricted to the heights that you can run a Torquemaster on that hull.

While I think you will be fine with either choice, 300 hp and especially the new V8 is a recipe for 90plus. I think the sporty is the slightly better choice if some top speed runs are part of why you bought a Checkmate and why you chose a 300 instead of a 250.

Thanks guys for the great answers and info, much appreciated, I am looking for the best all around driving set up but still want to be able to do 80, I'd be very happy with 85 at my elevation (1700 ft). Unfortunately I won't have any numbers until June at the earliest but I'll post as soon as I run it.

Back