• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New member checking in !

Corky

Hello everyone...I've been a checkmate owner for quite a few years now running an 87 Starflite with a 225 special yamaha.. I've just added another one to the fleet.. It's a 2004 ZT230BR.. Has a 496HO with the bravo outdrive and a bunch of aftermarket goodies on it... We had it up over 80MPH on the test run !! I'm ready for spring !! Oh well at least I have something to look forward to next year.. run3.jpgrun4.jpg

Thanks for the welcome JW.. I'm already planning on adding a few upgrades of my own until next spring.. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress..:cheers:

Thanks guys.. This boat is way different handling than the Starflite...That's a whole lot of engine back there and It's going to take some getting used to..
A few more details.. The boat has a Mirage plus 25 three blade prop on it, Eddie marine drive shower, Hardin marine SS sea water pump, Corsa silent choice Plus exhaust, and a bunch of other upgrades to get it where it is performance wise...Stereo is awesome with JL Audio amp, subs, and speakers... The boat has 500hrs on it and has been well kept.. es1.jpg

Welcome to the forums. Nice find. You will find that if you add external hydraulic steering the boat will be better behaved at over 70mph speeds. Also the gimbal and bushings on the bravo drive will last longer.

Hi Sonicss31 ! I'm still learning just what I bought.. I know that sounds strange but there's so many upgrades I'm not sure what I'm looking at...lol.. One of the features of this boat called out " dual ram hydraulic steering to the helm" And the steering seems very stable and easy at all speeds... steering.jpg

Last edited:
That is perfect and very nice setup. Imco is high quality and the stainless braided hose is a drive shower which will keep the drive cool. (y)

Trying to get a breakdown on the engine mods.. The initial test run was a busy event and the PO was going down the list while we were in motion.. I remember the cam was upgraded and ECM got a tune. .Other than that I don't remember the details... I'll update when I find out ... To say we were impressed with the boat's performance is an understatement...More like scary fast and overwhelmed !!! To the point the wife and I are going to add trim tabs before next season.. Something reasonable, I was looking at the lenco high performance versions.. Talked with the factory rep and was guided to the correct set for this size of boat.. I would like to use the auto glide automatic trim tab system with those trim tabs but need to speak with the factory again.. The first rep stated it might not work with a boat only 23ft but the literature reads boat lengths starting at 14ft so I might have got a newer rep that didn't quite know what the deal was..

Last edited:
Beautiful looking ‘mate! Trim tabs will help a lot. Once installed you’ll get settled into a “routine” with them. Where will you be boating at? Hopefully it will be the west side of Michigan so I can see this beast in person.

Yeah, the speedo isn't quite that happy on this one.. We were going to GPS a second run but it wasn't happening after that run...Supposedly 80 on the speedo is 75 GPS.. The PO had it completely wrapped{over 82} and we flagged him to slow down...After the run he stated that was the fastest it ever ran with the 3 blade prop and we shouldn't have flagged him.. Chalked it up to the cold air and choppy water.. Said he had a 4 blade that gave even more top end.. Not needed for us...LOL.... We didn't buy the second prop... It's a monster engine for a 23FT boat...

Beautiful looking ‘mate! Trim tabs will help a lot. Once installed you’ll get settled into a “routine” with them. Where will you be boating at? Hopefully it will be the west side of Michigan so I can see this beast in person.
Thanks Diplomat82... The boat was tagged from Michigan, bought in NC... And brought back to Pa.. How's that for a trip for this boat.. The owner stepped up to a bigger Donzi and was letting this one go.. I'm thinking this one was a little toy for speed...These guys are in it deep... Look how small she looks in between these two !!sandwitch.jpeg

Speaking of OEM gauges the tach and speedo don't quite match each other.. Anyone know if they're original or not ?? At this point I have no idea what's been upgraded... st.jpg

Same here for tachs my original was about 200rpm high and replacement Gaffrig was 100rpm high when checked with vessel view app. Get the adapter because it reads directly from PCM.

Thanks Diplomat82... The boat was tagged from Michigan, bought in NC... And brought back to Pa.. How's that for a trip for this boat.. The owner stepped up to a bigger Donzi and was letting this one go.. I'm thinking this one was a little toy for speed...These guys are in it deep... Look how small she looks in between these two !!View attachment 89208
Looks like my Enchanter parked next to my Formula 242SS size wise.

Just wait till an engine issue or replacing headers in that above picture. I would take the 23 any day. That boat is clean.

Back