• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New member from Michigan

Markp80m

Hi. My name is Mark. I bought a project. An '81 Checkmate Exciter. Has a 200 Merc. And a custom trailer. I thought it made a nice package, and it was all there, but time had taken it's toll. I am the 3rd owner, as last owner had it from '95. He tried hard to take care of it, but it needed a lot of work. (a.k.a. project). I got it running and took it out on Lake St Clair couple of times. Now that it runs, time to tear it apart.
I am from Richmond, S. E. Mich. Joined to see what other people are doing to restore, fix, and get Checkmates running again. And find other owners in the area.
This is my second Checkmate. First was in 1974. An MX15 with an inline 140. Bought it from Action Marine, Sammy! Was very fast for the day.

Welcome! This is a very addicting site, I think you will really enjoy it!
Oh, stay away from the Craigslist thread or you will be finding yourself in the market for another Checkmate.

thanks

Thanks for the Welcome, Guys. Figuring out pictures is next. And setting up my signature avatar.

I see some are close, great! I grew up on smaller inland lakes, but now closer to St Clair. Wanted to get out there. I know, an 18' Checkmate is not the ideal boat for big water. But some days are calm, can cruise the channels too.

Ah, Craigslist. Yes that's where I found it. In Detroit of all places. Nice looking boat, and better suited for rougher water, than a tunnel boat. And with the 200, should get up and go, when water is flat. A project, = cheap starting price!

The hull is bare, and down at the Checkmate Factory Refurbish shop. Talked with Dean, and Kip. It will be structurally better than new when I get it back. Mine had the single stringer (rotted) and the foam. Dean said they will replace with dual stingers, and transom knees. So I'm glad I took it there, as I would have replaced as built. Transom was cracked between the two lower motor mount bolts. Soft wood. That is when the 'project' went from my garage to thiers! So I am working on the other boat items over the winter.

more

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/g0qONG.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/D3ASbZ.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/oFwA5W.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/3YZbuJ.jpg

This is what I bought for $1800. 600 for the hull, 600 for the motor, 600 for the trailer, and a stainless prop for free.
It hadn't been used in a few years, and the motor wasn't running. Took a chance anyway. New battery and it started! Replace water pump, and out for a ride.

I will post the process in the Overhaulin' section soon.

Thanks. I really enjoy it. Just after I bought it, I took it back to the Checkmate factory, when they were doing restorations. They redid the wood in the hull, and the upholstery. I had to have the Checkmate horse on the back of the seats! LOL. It took a year and a half, but finally got it back. Then re-rigged it. Biggest challenge was the Ride Guide steering cables. Had to custom make a pair of Morse cables work. Since the boat was still very original, and not hacked up, I tried to keep as much original pieces on it as possible. That is original blue factory flake gel. Not perfect, but will do. Original steering wheel and horn trim button. Wheels on the trailer. Ladder. And, I found out from Dean, my chair style bucket seats are original too. He said they were kicking these boats out so fast in the 80's, they use whatever they could get their hands on! About 1 out of 10 has this style seat, so, I kept them. (and with such a small interior, nice to be able to sit sideways on the seat). Anyway, you get my point! IMG_2599.JPG 10.03.2018 Holloway Reservoir (8).JPG 2018-08-14 12.10.38 copy.jpg

Hi. My name is Mark. I bought a project. An '81 Checkmate Exciter. Has a 200 Merc. And a custom trailer. I thought it made a nice package, and it was all there, but time had taken it's toll. I am the 3rd owner, as last owner had it from '95. He tried hard to take care of it, but it needed a lot of work. (a.k.a. project). I got it running and took it out on Lake St Clair couple of times. Now that it runs, time to tear it apart.
I am from Richmond, S. E. Mich. Joined to see what other people are doing to restore, fix, and get Checkmates running again. And find other owners in the area.
This is my second Checkmate. First was in 1974. An MX15 with an inline 140. Bought it from Action Marine, Sammy! Was very fast for the day.
Hi Mark and Welcome to this great Checkmate Forum. There are a lot of great members here to enjoy. This is Sammie from Action Marine my Friend. Thank you for the nice Compliment. I am always here for you if you need me with your new Checkmate. Its looks really nice. Take care and have a fun summer. Your Friend always Sammie from Action Marine

Attachments

• 53921422_261190238151768_6205220976616013824_n.jpg
    53921422_261190238151768_6205220976616013824_n.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
Back