• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New member here and need help with boat purchase

Glad to see it

Bob, Glad to see you went with the Exciter, she's a beauty!!!:bigthumb:
Now put a jack and about 250hp on her and she will FLY. :drool:
Do you have a water pressure guage? Only a guage will tell you how high you can raise it safely. I would start where it is now and document everything speeds at 500rpm increments, water press at WOT and move it up a hole then check again. Thats the beauty of a hydraulic jack, just push a button. Low for good holeshot then jack her up for better top end. And checkmates love the added setback too.

Bob, Glad to see you went with the Exciter, she's a beauty!!!:bigthumb:
Now put a jack and about 250hp on her and she will FLY. :drool:
Do you have a water pressure guage? Only a guage will tell you how high you can raise it safely. I would start where it is now and document everything speeds at 500rpm increments, water press at WOT and move it up a hole then check again. Thats the beauty of a hydraulic jack, just push a button. Low for good holeshot then jack her up for better top end. And checkmates love the added setback too.

Thanks Costa. I meant to drop you an email to let you know I posted some pictures to this thread so that you could see what my Exciter looked like.

There is no water pressure gauge. I thought about adding the new Smartcraft Gauges for the Mercury OptiMax motor that I may be adding. I am still in the process of working on a sweet deal for a 2001 Merc 225 Optimax motor. See the following:

Smart Tach displays RPM, voltage,water pressure, engine temperature, engine hours,
trim, fuel flow rate in gallons or liters per hour, includes buttons for Troll Control™ and
reads in both LCD digital and analog.

Smart Speedo displays boat information including boat speed in MPH, kilometers or nautical
miles per hour, clock, fuel level in gallons or liters, oil level, mpg (average & trip),
current range, gps course, water & air temp, engine synchronizer, Troll Control™ for speed,
Reads in both analog and digital LCD.

I know these gauges are on the pricey side, about $675 for the pair, but I guess I like to spend money. If anyone has any experience with these gauges or any other recommendations for gauges let me know.

smartcraft.gif

the gauges work very well. the only challange is in the acutal programming and set up. for example, the oil tank has to have special connector on it to accept the wiring. then you have to fill it 1/4, then 1/2 and so on so the gauge will read properly. it's not difficult but it does take time.

The prop looks like it may be a laserII/quiksilver lightspeed. As far as where the motor is mounted youll be alot better off going for a jack plate.The jackplate not only allows you to raise the motor higher but also creats leverage that helps the boat air out easier. Im guessing a 6" would be about right for that boat but im not sure. The water pressure guage is an absolute must it takes about 30 minutes to install its really easy. Aaron

Back