• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oil Quantity question

Redboat

1989 7.4 litre 330 HP
I just had the boat winterized by a new marine mechanic and he put 7 quarts of oil in as per the Merc manual . Now the dipstik reads over full . Should the boat be at the level it sits in the water or valve covers level or air cleaner level when you check it ? He did run the engine after changing oil and filter , so the filter and oil lines are full . My old mechanic passed away this summer , so I can't ask him quantity he put in . It has always read correctly before sitting on the trailer with the air cleaner close to level .
Redboat

After reading more of the Merc. manual , it states the boat should be at rest in the water when checking oil level . I put the tongue of the trailer on a step ladder to check it and it's still overfull at 7 quarts . Big block in a Senator sits deep in the water .

Here is where your problem most likely lies.... The Merc manual quotes how much oil the engine holds when fully drained. If your mechanic sucked the old oil out through the dip stick, there will always be a good amount of oil left in the pan. If the stick says its overfull, it is.

Thanks vinny p , you hit the nail on the head !
I'll have him suck out the extra next spring before I start it up .
Redboat

i winterize a ton of boats every year and it is very easy to not get all the oil out of the moter. I usually find a 7.4 with the oil filter mounted externally not on the engine block to hold about 7.5 quarts when completly empty.

when you go to suck the oil out it is good to run the boat first and get the oil nice and hot that away it will suck out easier.

I had the same problem last week. I had the boat winterized last week the machanic called me and asked how much oil because he had put 6 quarts in and it read over fill.

None of this will really matters because you all need to change your oil in the spring again anyway before you use your boats. The engine sitting all winter long will get a bunch of condensation from heating and cooling down from the air outside in the winter time. This creates the engine to sweet and all that moisture gets into the oil. And if none of your mechanics can get the oil level right I would find somebody else to work on my boat.

no one mentioned how small the new filters are?? the std filter is only 1/2 qt capacaty instead of 1 qt.. "race filters" hold a bit less capacity too..

Back