• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Persuaders?

Someone offered me a Persuader and wanted some advice - how good are they? Read somewhere they are the best thing since sliced bread...well maybe not, but the feeling was the 234 was the best in terms of speed/wave slicing/etc. 219 might be better in terms of size/weight but it only saves a bit from what I can read. Personally worried about rot as I have a Pulse 210 that will be getting redone because of that...

It will be a midwest lake boat, so some chop is expected, but not ocean going. Mainly for pulling tubes, skiers, some speed nonsense, etc. Also key is the tow vehicle (Dodge Durango, so not 1/2 ton truck), so that's a factor I think about too.

Thanks for any input

I had a 219 Persuader and it was great. Very fun boat to own but it will beat you up in the rough. Check the floors under the front seat bases and around the back seat area.

Thanks - my fear is mostly the rot in these. Curious by rough - Cumberland or something else? I'll mainly be at Cumberland, Norris, and a few smaller lakes around me. Not looking for Lake Erie capabilities but able to handle when all the toons, tow boats, etc are out on the weekends

Thanks - my fear is mostly the rot in these. Curious by rough - Cumberland or something else? I'll mainly be at Cumberland, Norris, and a few smaller lakes around me. Not looking for Lake Erie capabilities but able to handle when all the toons, tow boats, etc are out on the weekends

We boat on KY Lake. Big wind and big cruisers traffic were the worst. Never got scared but wifey didn’t enjoy a few trips out. Moved up to a Convincor now and life is good. Couple more degrees of deadrise in a hull makes a big difference.

I owned a 1995 Persuarder 219 with a 454/Bravo1. It was a tough boat to tame getting out of the hole. Lots of carnival ride excitement as the bow would go ballistic, then come over hard onto plane and require a load of finesse to get the trim and tabs right. The hull would porpoise wildly until you backed off the throttle and tried again. It was tough (as propped) to hold lower planing speeds. Switching from the 3 brade to a 5 blade made a huge difference. I never attempted to pull a skier or any water toys behind it in the the two seasons I owned it.

Q3YSXOQujpZccMg?width=800&height=600&cropmode=none.jpg

With a SS 3 blade (Bravo?) 25" pitch, the boat would run 62mph (GPS) on the Saginaw River. Light chop, light wind, two aboard, 1/2 tank of fuel. The hull has the 'classic' Checkmate gallop. Always seemed like it wanted to run faster and faster. Switching to the High 5 SS blade 23" pitch, I didn't notice a lot of change in top speed, however, I am boating on smaller lakes. I would run out of lake, way before I would run out of throttle.

Personally, I don't think it would make a good boat for pulling skiers and tubes, at least on the lake I am on. Which is much better suited, IMHO, to an outboard powered rig, or an inboard (Ski Nautique, etc) designed ski boat.

Thanks for the insight on the Persuader

I have a 2014 RT AWD. It's rated at 7300, but never like to be near the edge as the trailer would be more in charge than the rig.

Towed my 219 Persuarder with the wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.7L. Would pull it at 70 mph without any problems. I wouldn't have any concerns about towing it a lot of miles. But, naturally, a long wheelbase 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton truck would be best.

Also towed the 219 with my 2002 Chevy Blazer, 4.3 V6, but only a couple miles from the lake house to the public boat launch. Did the same with my 24' pontoon (90hp Yamaha). I wouldn't tow either (especially the 'toon which has no trailer brakes) with the Blazer at highway speeds due to it's shorter wheelbase. I didn't want the tail wagging the dog...

Last edited:

My home lake it Cumberland. I'd say 90% of the time, you'll be ok in a Persuader. But that other 10% you are probably going to have to slow way down and ride it out. Mostly in front of the marinas like State Dock/Jamestown and Conley where it can turn into a washing machine on busy weekends. I used to do it all the time in a 21ft Checkmate (Starflite) but like flyby knight, I upgraded to a Convincor and now I don't even slow down. Hell, it actually rides better if I speed up through the rough stuff.

Pic of my 219 hooked to the wife's 2014 GC Summit ready for a 100+ mile trip:

wv7s3ZA-dgjuEVQ?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none.jpg

As I posted earlier, no problems towing it. Even with the cruise control set, it never missed a beat, rarely downshifted (no mountains, but some hills), tracked fine.

Back