• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Power Steering Problem

Redboat

I have an 89 Senator with 7.4 litre / Bravo 1

I have a leak in the Booster Cylinder or Control Valve . Of course neither part are available anymore . :pissed:
Can I just remove the pump belt and still be able to steer ?

I've read on another forum that the replacement ( new design ) has propritary fittings from Mercury that are different from my old hoses .
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Brian

You probably already checked but...

IF Mercury does not have replacement parts or something to substitute in with new hoses, I would check into having the units rebuilt at a hydraulic shop.

Any good marinas or marine shops where you live, maybe they have a fix for this. I think I would shop around a bunch.

I've got paper towels wrapped around them so I can find out which one is leaking .

I have found seal kits are available .

Pop over to Original Marine Surplus and look at their alpha/bravo power steering actuator. Is this what we are talking about here? Says they have 13 of em at 100 bucks each.

Thanks Jimway . Those are the new design . Fittings are different . Looked at replacing hoses and the correct hoses for the new design have the wrong fittings for the pump end . Aarg

Good thing I have all winter to figure this out .

Is it possible that the older design and the older Corvette share the same components? I seem to remember going this route in the past. What about just having the hydraulic hose guy swap out the proper end fittings to fit the new one. Do you have the component part number so that I can hit up the local parts guy? Look at clevis for part number and tell me if it says 95847.

I just happen to have a 76 Corvette sitting in the garage . I'll have to look tomorrow . I think they are different .
Been searching online for a solution . Might have to look into getting new design control valve / booster cyl and adapting new hoses to the old pump as you suggested.

Yeah, I think the C3's used the same control valve so a rebuild kit might fit fit.

Back