• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Prop testing

jallen355

Well, that was the game plan anyway. Went out by myself the other day in Lake Ponchatrain to test a 26" chopper on the new power plant. Forgot the GPS so I called back to the house for a special delivery to the boat launch. By the time moma and the boys got there, it was on. I had found 'em. "The birds" :lol:...not 300 yards from the no wake zone.

Now...I have gotten in the habit of throwing a couple of rods w/plastics on them under the foredeck when I go boating in the Check. . Yeah, I fish, too and hey, ya' neva know! Well, I can tell you this. You can put about 10-12 Speckled Trout in the splashwell of an Exciter before they start flopping out. Thank goodness for conveneince stores, styrofoam ice chests and good women.

I might take a flaming for this, but sometimes god puts us in a position to make a choice. For me, this one was to ignore the obvious (don't fish out of your freshly restored purdy bote, or load up the boys and "learn 'em sumpin' new". I knew what I was gonna choose.

Yeah, I know, Big R. I didn't even think to take off my shoes until the sun went down and it was all over. It only lasted for an hour or two so we had to get after them. I was just as fired up as the boyz and we were puttin' 'em in the chest.

Still reading? Good.

"Check" this out..... This is how we roll down here! :lol:

FishinfromtheCheckmate.jpg

ATT00087.jpg

DSCF1435.png

12-30-2008018.jpg

12-30-2008017.jpg

12-30-2008015.jpg

DSCF1426.png

DSCF1428.jpg

Trout Joule' - my own recipe for my baby!
12-30-2008005.jpg

..and "Stuffed Flouner Lake Ponchatrain. My take on an classic.
DSCF1442.jpg
DSCF1437.jpg
DSCF1448.jpg

Ah yes. Life in S. Lousiana. Gotta love it. Hurricanes and all.....

I still don't really know. The whole setup is out of the window w/the 2-fer. I spun the 23" Tempest up to 6500 RPM and got out of it. It was still pulling, but that's all I care to spin it. I don't need the grenade another one. GPS said 66.1 MPH for a max, but it was still pulling, like I said. Here's the prop calculator info. I plugged in collected data and it computed prop slip. Doesn't look right to me.... .06761 ?????

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Engine[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RPM 6500[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gear[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ratio 2:1[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Propeller[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pitch 23[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Propeller[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slip .06761[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Speed [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MPH 66[/FONT]​

I didn't get a chance to run the 26" chopper hard. Kind of got distracted. I guess I'm a bit A-D-D. I did whirl it up one time, though and it went right up to 6500 RPM, too (which puzzles me). Easier than the Tempest did, as a matter of fact. GPS was not plugged in at that point, though. Again, I backed out of it. I don't know. I need to spend some time with the whole setup thing....again. Anyway, using the same data and changing only the pitch with an attempt to get a top speed with the 26 chopper, here's what the calculator comes up with.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pitch 26[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MPH 74.6[/FONT]​

I know that slip calc has got to be off, but the only thing I can figure is that my tach is "slightly" off. In the end of it all, I was thinking I would spin the 26" around 6000 RPM@ 70+/- MPH and would be happy. Anything more than that would be considered lagniappe at that point.

Here's a link to the prop calculator I used for these numbers, btw.

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

I still don't really know. The whole setup is out of the window w/the 2-fer. I spun the 23" Tempest up to 6500 RPM and got out of it. It was still pulling, but that's all I care to spin it. I don't need the grenade another one. GPS said 66.1 MPH for a max, but it was still pulling, like I said. Here's the prop calculator info. I plugged in collected data and it computed prop slip. Doesn't look right to me.... .06761 ?????

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pitch 23[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MPH 66[/FONT]​

I didn't get a chance to run the 26" chopper hard. Kind of got distracted. I guess I'm a bit A-D-D. I did whirl it up one time, though and it went right up to 6500 RPM, too (which puzzles me). Easier than the Tempest did, as a matter of fact. GPS was not plugged in at that point, though. Again, I backed out of it. I don't know. I need to spend some time with the whole setup thing....again. Anyway, using the same data and changing only the pitch with an attempt to get a top speed with the 26 chopper, here's what the calculator comes up with.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pitch 26[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MPH 74.6[/FONT]​

I know that slip calc has got to be off, but the only thing I can figure is that my tach is "slightly" off. In the end of it all, I was thinking I would spin the 26" around 6000 RPM@ 70+/- MPH and would be happy. Anything more than that would be considered lagniappe at that point.

Here's a link to the prop calculator I used for these numbers, btw.

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
Your prop slip is about 6.7%. (Multiply by 100 to get percent)

Jallen nice "mess" of fish.:thumb: When I've got the itch to fish I go with my Dad in his 19' Basscat w/ 225 Johnson Venom hanging off the back.:eyecrazy:

Here's my normal fishing rig for the marsh.
Ride135010.jpg

I also fish with two buds...

19' Key West C.C. w/a 150 Yamadog.
or a
24' Blazer Bay w/a 250 Yamadog. :bigthumb:

how do you have the 2.0 : 1 lower unit ? isnt it 1.87 or 1.78 i dont remember :brickwall: its cold n my river is a solid now !

j355,

I'm w/ you on this one. A boat has to earn it's keep. Looks like your check did just that. Every boat I have owned has always seen double duty. My enforcer will be the same way. It'll do just fine fishin the grass flats down on the pan handle as well as striper and walleye here in mid TN. Gotta luv it.

Hick

BTW always keep 2 spinning rods and a 6wt flyrod handy any time i'm on the water.

j355,

I'm w/ you on this one. A boat has to earn it's keep. Looks like your check did just that. Every boat I have owned has always seen double duty. My enforcer will be the same way. It'll do just fine fishin the grass flats down on the pan handle as well as striper and walleye here in mid TN. Gotta luv it.

Hick

BTW always keep 2 spinning rods and a 6wt flyrod handy any time i'm on the water.

Yeah you right!!

how do you have the 2.0 : 1 lower unit ? isnt it 1.87 or 1.78 i dont remember :brickwall: its cold n my river is a solid now !

Zach, I bolted a 2.4 drop on right on top of my 2 liter mid when it pitched a rod out the side of the block. The 2.0 liters have 2:1 gearing.

Back