• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Questions regarding Setup on 21' Starflite

MARK, F150. I talked top DAVE quite a bit on the phone the other day trying to figure this out. Hes redone his floor so thats dry,but he did say the front wall in the bow was soft enuff to put a fingure through, I think if thats wet that may be huge reason for the lower speed. I personally after trying the CMC and all sorts of setups with it just found that it wouldnt get to where I wanted, I agree that even a bit more may be perfect for absolute performance becouse the farther ive gone back the faster its gone. I just get a bit nervous myself ,even as far back as I am. I honestly think that DAVES boat should be the fastest STARFLITE thats on the site now that I know of. Ive got to think that once its dialed in itll be knocking on 80mph. Buy having the nose cone and low water pick up I think he could up to 1" below the V. Dave did you get a chance top check the water pressure again? I got to think with the knowledge of everyone in here this starflite will be flying soon for sure. Aaron

P.S Im personaly waiting for my solid mounts ,hopefully tommorow to finish my YAMAHA which should be making 260+hp@6800rpm and will be wearing fresh PRO-V150 emblems. Im looking for 80 myself.:p

Boston Your Rally Sport is a perfect contender for one of these brackets and weight is not an issue, determining how much set back you want is the key. when you get the boat out have someone take some vidio of your fly by's to see how the boat is flying, also pay attention to how it performs at different trim angles. Find out the optimum hieght your prop runs at.
There are some quirks with extreme set back, I have found sometimes you have to add more negitive trim(trim angle wedges) to prevent porpising at low speeds with a full load of people. Also pad hulls dont require as much as true deep V. I Ski with mine and has not adversly affected its pull at all.
I would gladly build a bracket for outhers, I hadnt thought about $ yet but will. These are custom fit so I would need your boat here in upstate N.Y. to make one.
F150GT
Are you going to the new england gathering in august?? If you are I could meet up w/ you there and trailer the boat to your place and come back and get it when you're done. If you are up for it that would be awsome. Im not sure how much setback I need, but Ill get a video to help. Wildman has rigged a few rallysports and he said that 17'' (i beleive) is best. I would like to get my hands on a 5.5'' cmc hydraulic and some neg trim wedges and mount that on your setback bracket. Its definitely something to think about, either way Im gonna need some setback to get this thing running to its potential. I know my transom can handel it, the thing is bullet proof.

MARK, F150. I talked top DAVE quite a bit on the phone the other day trying to figure this out. Hes redone his floor so thats dry,but he did say the front wall in the bow was soft enuff to put a fingure through, I think if thats wet that may be huge reason for the lower speed. :p
If it is soft, it is wet. He needs to dig that bow foam out! Funny thing with mine was the floor and stringers were wet and rotten like compost yet the bow foam was completely dry.

Boston
I'm just starting a new job and wont have any vacation time for a while, thats a long ride for just the weekend from Rochester. Maybe we could put together a meet in New York State. Do you go to the Rondak Romp? I want to try to get there this spring.
Andy

The bow foam was wet in mine also, took 90lb of wet crap out. I cut 1'x2' door opening in the bulk head and removed it thrue there then I put a door on and now use it for life jacket storage. If the bulkhead is that soft youd probably be better off removing it. When you cut it out you could leave an inch or two around the boarder and screw a new bulkhead to the lip if you wanted to maintain the space for storage.

took it out today

bow foam is gone. bottom of some was wet. took it all out. pbly about 40lbs removed. ran the boat today. by myself 68.1 mph with a heavy cooler, lol. On the way home noticed a vibration after getting gas trimmed up the motor and noticed 1/2 blade was missing from my 24p trophy plus. Never hit anything just gone. think maybe last year clipped a stump spun the plastic flo torque hub maybe hairline fracture. that's all i can think of. oh well needed a different one anyways. going to add setback in a week or so. chinewalking is present at 65 definitely have to steer through it. also discovered i was running motor way too high. trimmed down the jackplate and more power is apparent better hole shot better water psi, etc. Aaron, does more setback settle down the chine? I was contenplating adding 4" more to mine and see what that does. I am thinking of buying a 4" vance or something near that and bolting my 10" cmc to that.

Dave

how balance is everything in the boat? if you have the battery, oil tank, etc on the same side as the driver, that can cause the boat to fall over and cause your chine walking. also, do you have solid motor mounts on that engine?

pretty balanced

1 battery per side. oil tank on drivers side. cooler on passenger side. :) The motor comes stock with solid motor mounts.

The prop could be adding to the chine walk too. Also, You should concider moving everyhing to the portside. If you have anything in the bow (anchor, gas, battery etc) anything thats heavy, get it out of there it will not help your handeling. Hope you get it sorted out, I would like to see you hit 80 someday:cheers

I found chine walk was effected greatly by engine height, If the motor is 1/2' too low it would walk terriible, lift the motor a bit and it would smooth right out. thats one of the reasons I like a power lift, slight adjustments can make a big diffrence.

Something isnt adding up here. With that power even if all is out of whack you should still be able to get into the 70s easily. I see yoou have bottom paint that may scrub off 1-2 mph(if uou dont need it take it off its not easy but worth it). I agree with F150 when my motor was burried to low it chinewalked like crazy. I only use one battery myself, but since you have the the subs in front taking the second out may not be an option. Is the bottom paint smooth or extremley ruff. Now your needing a prop , but i cant figure where you should be at all I wouldnt get anything smaller the a 25p trophy though. The only problem is with the current speed and rpm its to much prop(shouldnt be at all though) I think what id personally do is get a 25p trophy and if you dont want to take the cmc off at all get the smallest vance they make and put it on. Whats the prop height and rpms at now prior to blade coming apart? Did it help any removing the foam? SOmething im thinking about is you said that motor is 500lb, looking at the pic in action you are way to trimed for that much of the boat to be in the water. So im thinking maybe becouse the weight you need to run even a higher prop shaft height then say F150 or myself. Here is a pic of how mine was last summer see if you can see what im talking about not the best pic but it shows what im talking about a bit. Aaron

Attachments

• family reuinion 015.jpg
    family reuinion 015.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 48
  • family reuinion 013.jpg
    family reuinion 013.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 38
Aaron,
I removed the bow foam as you said. Some of the foam on the botom was wet. I would say in all it was about 40lbs. I didn't really see a difference when I did it. JRumon had the same 10" cmc with a 300x and was hitting 87mph. I am not even hitting 70. Something just doesn't seem right. he was running his 1/2" below the V. I have tried mine up and I have tried mine down. Nothing has made that much of a difference. I am making an appt with the merc dealer to check over the motor to make sure everything is ok. it's still under warranty so i guess it can't hurt.

Dave

Update

OK Campers here's an update. Tried out a buddies 25p Trophy Plus. Ran just about of 70mph again at 5800 and change. I can get the rpm's up a bit more but that is only if I jack the motor up too high. I have the chine walking under control. I am going to see if someone has a 26p Trophy plus or maybe even a 27p. I want to see if the motor will still get up to that 5800rpm range. It seems that the motor's power is around that 5800. I wasn't able to get any running pics today but will try to get some on Monday if possible. I am pretty sure that most of the boat is out of the water. I think if I tried a chopper I would get into the high 70's pretty quick. Making progress slowly. A few more weeks and I should have this thing nipped in the butt.

Dave

what would i want with a tunnel hull. I hate those boats. I have the boat I want and once I figure out my setup it will be plenty fast for me.

Dave

Back