• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Resto/Custom/Encapsulated Enticer

I also love the look of no rubrail and did consider it on my Mates resto, but unfortunately my marina where I keep my boat always has a lot of new boaters floating around banging and bumping.
I settled on a flush style one piece rail {no insert} color matched to the hull -- from a distance it'll look like no rubrail.

Where did you find it if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks man.!
It was a ton of work...!
See progress pics on the first page of this thread.. if you wanna see how much fun/easy it was..! (It wasn't..!)

check out this link if you wanna get serious
www.farreachvoyages.com/projects/hulldeckjoint.html

Your hard work paid off, that is for sure! I bookmarked the link of reference. I am a little intimidated by fiberglass work as I have never done it before. You and a few others on here make it look easy. :cheers:

Where did you find it if you don't mind me asking.

One of our member colleagues {redstrat} hooked me up with this website for rubrails, and another member colleague {paulsboats} chimed in and confirmed the product quality.
I've been in contact with them and they are very kool to deal with.
Their selection isn't HUGE, but they do offer a few flush designs that you just can't find anywhere else.
Here's the link --- good luck

http://tacomarine.com/cat--Rub-Rail--rubrail.html

By the way.....You did a excelent job.... Very Nice!
Some day ill have the Eluder looking like that.

Happy Boating!

Much Lighter Enticer..!!

"Prior to my restoration",.my hydrofoil/cavitation plate played a significant role in keeping my boat steady at wide open throttle (WOT) speeds..!

(I took it off years ago just to see what would happen and it was very unstable.!)

"After the restoration"....my hydrofoil/cavitation plate does nothing to keep my boat steady a WOT speeds...!
The engine is sitting to low.. when i trim it up it's dangerous!

I couldn't justify $1400. for a hydraulic jack plate and the used ones i found had at least a 5inch set back.. too much for my boat.! (without having to totally re-do steering cables and cut out new holes)

So I purchased a manual jack plate (for $140.) with a 3inch set back..
Hope this works...?? If not... at least it looks cool..!!
jackplate_zps133b841c.jpg

hydrofoil/cavitation platecavitationplate_zpsbd9ad6f9.jpg

New.. Bigger test prop..!
new4blade_zps10bbb184.jpg

STUFFED IT...!

Almost forgot.....
I took the boat out into the Atlantic Ocean back in December.! The waves were big!! Got the boat completely airborne several times and the transom didn't fall of...!! WOOOP WOOOP!!
However... coming back in the jetty..., the waves were so tall and so close together I completely stuffed the boat at a whopping 20mph.!!!!
I saw it coming and laughed my ass of when it did..!! Thank god the bilge was working!!
I'm guessing it looked a little like this..?

Screenshot2013-05-30at15549PM_zps2542be43.png

$2. No-Feed-Back-Steering..!!!

Congrats! Get rid of that single cable steering. You're going way too fast for that.

Funny you should mention that!!

Yeah I found out very quickly, it was scary uncontrollable at high speeds!
My mechanic (who used to race boats) installed it.!!??

I contacted a Teleflex rep and he was concerned too and highly recommended a "dual cable No-Feed-back system".

However that was gonna cost another $600 and probably meant cutting out more wholes near the engine to accommodate it..!!?

I got very lucky and found an ingenious solution and it only costed me $2. !!! Rubber Bit Guards (meant for horses..!!)

I sandwiched 2 of them together between the steering wheel and the column and it worked like a champ!!

I can tighten or loosen the nut whenever I need more or less resistance. I've have it set now where I don't ever have to touch it and it feels just like my old steering system!!

Perfectly fine with me..!! BUUUUUHHHHHHZINGGGG!!

2013-03-15182702_zps9a870d48.jpg
2013-03-15182644_zpsba3d8a20.jpg

2013-03-15182917_zpsfcfd1e56.jpg

Single cable at those speeds or even anywhere near them us dangerous. The rubber washers behind the steering wheel are like putting a bandaid over a gun shot wound. $600 for a Teleflex dual cable is kind of outrageous unless that includes installation and you could just about buy a hydraulic system and install it yourself for that much. Only a true dual rack dual cable or a hydraulic system should be used from 60 on up. Just don't want to see anyone get hurt, especially an innocent bystander.

Hey naysayer.....did you just insinuate that I'm stupid and a reckless driver.? NICE!!

I've owned fast boats since I was 11yrs old and the Checkmate above for the last 20 yrs and no one has ever gotten hurt!

The $2. rubber bit guards have worked flawlessly for the last 8 months and saved me $600.!!!

"Bandaide over a gun shot wound"... REALLY..??

Back