• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Story Behind Playmate, Vyper, F-13 etc

Talk about not having any luck..........
icon_frown.gif

Jw,
I am working on a deal for a Fantasy F-13. If I get it early this summer I may play with it for the season.
thumb.gif

That's cool! Was it the one from this site with a Force motor? Or was that a Paradise?

With your skills, any hull problems the Fantasy might have won't be a problem. Sounds great! Let me know how it ends up.

Good deal! Is he willing to separate that worthless Force 40? If not, I'll give you $400.00 for the motor and the controls and put that bad boy on my pontoon boat
xxrotflmao.gif

Gonna make some 'new' 13' Coop Specials?

I'd like to have it home by the cookout in July. I will consider the motor deal, but no promises yet. I'l probably just play with it until fall then who knows.

I'd like to use it to learn some more about resin infusion.

I would make the boats with hand lamination but I would also learn more about resin infusion so that I can later make them stronger and lighter.

Resin infusion like VEC? Or more like vacuum bagging? I think C'Mate should get into vacuum bagging, even if it IS just a marketing hype thing................

I wouldn't even waste my time vacuum baging. Those girls out at Checkmate are faster and better. There is very little excess resin in a Checkmate. The bag would just be used as a clamping devise.

Besides by the time you got the bag on the resin would already be starting to kick.

resin infusion, you place all the fiberglass where you need it and you place intake and exhuast hoses on the part then you cover it with a bag apply a vacuum to remove air then after you know everything is ready you catalize your resin in a bucket put a hose in the bucket and release the valve. after the resin works its way through the laminate you close the valve and maintain the seal until its cured.

That is oversimplified but do you see the diference between infusion and bagging.

I have used vacuum bagging to make mahogany decks for Lyman. It was mainly used to hold the wood in place until the resin cured underneath.

VEC
brickwall.gif
I wish he would have never come up with that process. The process is great its the goals that Irwin Jacobs has for the process. He want's to have backyard boat builders regulated out of existance.

Yep, the VEC technology has been getting good reviews. My wife's '03 Glastron is a VEC boat. The hull finish isn't half as smooth and nice as a hand-laid Checkmate hull, but they offer a lifetime warranty that can't be beat. And it looks to me like they can use very little labor to make a boat. I'll bet all boats will be built using VEC a hundred years from now. And we'll have maybe 4 styles to choose from
icon_frown.gif

I didn't think of asking him. I was watching the molds he had for sale to see how long it took to sell those. Sooner or later one of those Playmate molds is gonna end up on ebay. But by then I may have my own set.

JW
It looks like Dr. Phil is gonna keep his Fantasy. Which is cool cause I'm still a little short on cash. So we need to help him realize that boats full potential.

Dr. Phil
Yes that boat could do better than 48mph but probobly not with the force motor on it. Look for a guy on this site that goes by addgasgofast, he has several motors for sale that would be better for that boat. Tell him I sent ya.
Also being a Fantasy I think they may have some inconsistancy in hull weight. Checkmates' weight was around 300pds.
That Fantasy that was just on ebay had a Brochure picture in the ebay ad, he emailed me some more pics of that boat and what he sent had different color stripes and interior. Posibly a dif. motor too. I'll try to get the pix posted here so you can see them.

Coop

HI
I was wondering if their is anywhere i coulf pick up one of the paradise hulls? IF you would know could you please contact me. I could have bout one of these about a year ago for 1,200 but the problem was that it was in texas. so if anyone could help me out that would be great thanks.

Back