• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Stringer/bulkhead composition - probably problem..

770guy

I have a few spots like this in various areas. Anyone had this happen with their Checkmate? The vertical gap where the overlap from the bulkhead has pulled away from the stringer.

Is this a red herring for the worst possible scenario?

The waterlines are concerning to say the least as well as there is about 3" of water in this pocket. There is no way for this water to drain out..

boat is a 2000 ZT model

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(53).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(53).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
If it’s “cracked” like that there is water intrusion and most likely rot. I would assume the worse and start investigating further. My 2000 Persuader had a separation similar to that and you could insert a screwdriver and probe all the wet/ rotted wood.

If it’s “cracked” like that there is water intrusion and most likely rot. I would assume the worse and start investigating further. My 2000 Persuader had a separation similar to that and you could insert a screwdriver and probe all the wet/ rotted wood.

I am currently getting a gouge in hull fixed. Once I get the boat back I am going to really clean everything up and start investigating. I see seepage so there is definitely rot in that bulk head. I dont see any way to even access that portion of the boat. Assuming the others are in the same condition.

If thats the case, I am going to find someone who can just crack this thing in half and fix everything structurally before I go any further. I know Checkmate does OEM restoration but not sure how busy they are.

I have never done fiberglass work, but I do have the capabilities just not the time. The time value of money for me would be greater just paying someone else to fix this correctly. The focus though will be someone doing it 100% right the first time because paying to have it done right the second time is the worst.

Should have boat back from fiberglass guy this week fixing the gouge in the hull. Then I am going to pull motors and drives. Thoroughly clean the bilge etc... He had to cut a hole in the floor when you step into the cuddy cabin to patch the damage to the keel from the inside also. I told him not to glass that back in until I figure out why the tabbing on the bulkheads has seperated from the stringer. I can only assume its like this in more places.

I didnt have the boat but 3 days before I got it to a glass guy to fix the bottom so I havent had a chance get a thorough inspection of the nooks and cranny's.

Fingers are crossed that I somehow dont have rotted stringers and transom. Maybe I will get lucky, but this would be the first time.

Depending on how they tie that bulkhead into the stringer I may be ok. Hopefully they glass the stringer in and then the bulkheads so that if that ever seperated then water couldnt get into both the stringer and the bulk head.

I realized I had never put any pictures of the keel damage. Previous owner damaged the boat on the trailer. Didnt back it in far enough, bunks are too low. I am raising the bunks. Here are some pics from before and as they are in the process of fixing it.

Attachments

• 20190728_111558.jpg
    20190728_111558.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190813_094513.jpg
    20190813_094513.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 36
Here is a shot of the boat. I cannot wait until next season. Gonna make it as good as new.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 36
Guy is still working on the keel. I went ahead and made some new brackets for raising the bunks on the trailer. I saw a guy on here with a factory trailer for a zt330. It had bunks on basically every chine. I will add more flat bunks once the boat is back on it.

Attachments

• 20190815_132225.jpg
    20190815_132225.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190816_073444.jpg
    20190816_073444.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190816_082144.jpg
    20190816_082144.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
I will end up putting two bolts per bracket, just wanna make sure height is good before I go drilling extra holes.

Attachments

• 20190816_132911.jpg
    20190816_132911.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190816_132949.jpg
    20190816_132949.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190813_094513.jpg
    20190813_094513.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 21
Kind of felt a little ill looking at the damage. That wasn't going to buff out. Apparently the previous owner power loaded at 15 knots or so? What about brackets to turn 2x4 bunk sideways so that the wide aspect of the bunk is against the sacred Checkmate fiberglass. No keel protection or roller present on trailer? Also, what is weight of ZT 330.

Kind of felt a little ill looking at the damage. That wasn't going to buff out. Apparently the previous owner power loaded at 15 knots or so? What about brackets to turn 2x4 bunk sideways so that the wide aspect of the bunk is against the sacred Checkmate fiberglass. No keel protection or roller present on trailer? Also, what is weight of ZT 330.

I couldnt agree more. I found pics of an oem checkmate trailer for zt330 from a guy on the forum MindBLOWN. He has a very nice 330. It has bunks all over the place. Once I get the boat back from fiberglass, motors pulled, drives pulled etc..inspect stringers...then I'm gonna basically make all new bunks like you are describing.

It's been 19 years since we had a checkmate. I forgot how nice the factory trailer was when it said "ZT260" at the bow.

This boat came with a real nice aluminum. Just doesnt have correct bunks.

I attached pics of the guy on the forums z330.

Attachments

• IMG_3035_zpskvkq61px.jpg
    IMG_3035_zpskvkq61px.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3038_zpsmshjftnk.jpg
    IMG_3038_zpsmshjftnk.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 22
Got the boat back from getting keel fixed. Now the fun can begin. I probably will start a new restoration thread.

Dropped the boat off at a local place Proboat.

1. Entire interior removed and redone to original.
2. Brand new XR drives
3. Engine bay gutted. Painted. Stringers/bulkheads beefed up
4. 496 engines with 250 blowers. May go bigger but 750hp each is what I told them was a minimum.
5. All new lavorsi gauges
6. Imco steering
7. Dana marine tabs
8. New windshield (every panel)
9. Once boat is gutted it's getting every ding/chip and discoloration fixed.
10. New hatch lift cylinder (may do dual)
11. 4 batteries with billet mounts

I am setting my expectations low IMHO so hopefully I am not disappointed but I want at least 90mph. 1500hp I think will get it there.

Gonna be a good winter!

Attached are a couple more pics when I picked the boat up.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(3).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(3).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1567966088055.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567966088055.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 20
  • imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 18
Back