• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Stringer repair (winter project)

Spent some time getting the fuel tank bay ready for the new tank. Added a couple of platforms for the tank to sit on and also painted the area. I left the top half of the stringers unpainted so I can epoxy some blocks in to help hold the tank in.

IMG_1573.jpg

It has been a while since I updated my progress. I ran into some major problems with my new gas tank.
I had Speedytanks build it for me and they did a pretty nice job. Of course it got damaged through FedEx. Looked as if something heavy fell on the bottom of the tank and put a real nice gouge in it. Speedytanks did not want me to use the tank so I had to send it back for repair.
This whole process cost me close to a month of time. So now I have the "new" repaired tank in the boat and I'm ready to start installing the floor. My first piece is fitted and ready to be epoxied in.

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

Looking for advise on my motor mount support.
This is basically how I intend to support the front mounts. I will through bolt a 4x6x1/2" angle to each stringer.

IMG_1671_1.jpg

My question is what material should I use for the angle? Stainless Steel or Aluminum?

I'm not sure if there is a clear advantage to either one. Wondering if anyone out there has any experience that they are willing to share.

Thanks!

One layer of bilge paint down. Will recoat bilge area tomorrow.
So glad that I'm finally done with glassing and grinding. May not be perfect but I don't think I will have anymore issues and I'm just happy to be closer to getting on the water!

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1678_1.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

Last edited:
Motor mount supports arrived today. Decided to go with 4"x4"x1/2" aluminum angle with a backing plate.

IMG_1679.jpg

Still have another coat of paint to apply to the bilge area, then a handful of small time consuming stuff. I might be able to install the motor in a couple weeks, fingers crossed!

Question for everyone regarding bilge pumps. This is the first boat I had with an automatic bilge that had an "auto/on/off" switch. My old Checkmate just had a bilge with an "on/"off" switch. I need to replace the old pump, does anyone have any suggestions on brand, gph and external or internal float.

Engine install went a lot easier then I thought. I left the engine hanging off the hoist and aligned it. Then marked the angles, drilled and bolted everything up. Went without a hitch!

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

Have about 4 hours on everything with no issues.

Short video of me testing the mounts out. lol...

th_IMG_1897.jpg

My Father's day present plus some miscellaneous photos.

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

Will have to keep a watch for you in Grand Haven! Glad you were able to get out over the weekend - big lake was looking pretty nasty most of the weekend.

Back