• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Stuck steering cable

clarencio

I am talking about my 1973 CHECK MATE. It has 115Hp OB Evinrude. The cable is frozen up so I am trying to remove it. I removed the Forward end of the cable from under the dash---but--I can't remove the ass end from thru the Engine. I got it so far but then it got jambed up and the cable is bending. It is really stuck man and I am at a loss as to what to do next.???HELP! PLEASE.
:brickwall:
clarencio

If the cable routing is too tight and the cable wants to kink or cant make the bend, sometimes the motor has to be unbolted to give extra room to remove and install. A cutoff wheel to the cable makes quick work for removal, but you'll probably fight it going back together without unbolting

I thank you all for your reply to my problem but I just can't imagine me moving that engine by Myself so that I can remove the steering cable. If I cut the old cable out of the boat would I have enough space to install a new cable without moving the engine??? I can do a lot of things. But at 83 years young moving the engine is out of the question. Clarencio

I'm assuming that the real problem you are having is with solid shaft on the end of the steering cable inside the tilt tube. The cable can't bend enough to go through the hole in the motor well to get the cable out of the tube. There should be a lifting loop on top the motor. If you have a sturdy overhead beam in a garage or an a frame available, you should be able to take enough weight off the transom with a small hoist to be able to manipulate the motor. The motor should weigh around 300-350 lbs. Good luck, Jim

This MAY Work

I have twice managed to replace damaged Merc Ride Guide steering cables on Sidewinders without removing the engine from the transom.

Disconnect the cable from the helm but leave it routed through the rigging tube. Where the cable begins to exit through the splashwell, form a gigantic loop and feed the engine end of the cable through the tilt tube. It MAY now be possible to manipulate opposite sides of the loop like the arms of a crank allowing you to simultaneously spin the cable and feed the ends through the tilt tube and the rigging tube. Obviously you need to be careful that you don't overstress the cable. The amount of space between the powerhead and the side of the splashwell will be the determining factor.

I never did get the cable out. I got tired of the problem and reinstalled the cable at both ends---because of all the screwing around with the cable--it nows works. But, the steering only works a little bit. I think that is because the cable at the dash-board end is wrong. I imagine that if I take that end back out and move the actual steering wheel way over and install it again, then I will improve the steering???
What I am trying to say is that the wheel itself just needs to be put in the correct position then the cable installed. Does that sound right to you all???
Clarencio

If you have a rack and pinion steering cable set up, which I assume you have, I don't really think you could put the steering wheel in the wrong place. The teeth should mesh and give you travel in either direction. I thinking maybe your cable is still binding up. I had a steering cable several years back get stuck on my 75 Predictor. It wouldn't move in either direction. It took about (3) cans of PB Blaster. I kept squirting it into the tilt tube on the motor and into the cable at the other end of the tilt tube where the nut on the cable attaches to the tilt tube. Eventually it freed up. I kept applying PB Blaster and working the steering wheel back and forth until I finally had the full travel of the cable again. Hope this helps. Jim

JIM: You were right on the nose. After giving up several times but then going back and trying again, turning, pulling, squirting and pounding in the pivot tube area it finally came all the way loose and I now have steering.
Thanks, clarence

Great news. I would suggest keeping the PB Blaster on hand and continue spraying it and working it back and forth from time to time to keep her lubed up. It's well worth it to help in keeping it freed up. Good luck and hope you enjoy your boat. Jim

Back