• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Temporarily insane

Mwar410

Hi, been thinking about resurrecting an old checkmate and heard this is the place to be. I've been doing boat repairs and modifications for 20+ years more as a hobby, but as a finish carpenter/cabinet maker it's becoming more and more as a job.
The boat that I've been tempted with is a TRV-17, its dying in a yard across the road from me, so I have to look at it everyday. It's in rough shape, been blacked out and used for duck hunting, ugly as all h..., and lying on its belly.
My thoughts are to pop the top off, roll her over, repair and paint the bottom, modify the top to make it into a low CC bay boat. My concerns are how does this boat handle and will changing it to a CC be dangerous.
Looking forward to being a part of the forum,
Mike

Welcome.

I believe Paulsboats made a skiff out of a Vmate. You could pm him and see what he thought of his handing characteristics.

Thanks I PM'd paulsboats. I'm getting the boat as part of a barter for some work I'm doing on a Grady white. While I hesitated all weekend and told him I really needed the money he just sweetened the deal. Boat, fully rigged 100 mariner, and some sort of trailer.

Almost three months and no one had any info on these boats, about gave up on the idea. It's ashame, hull, 115merc, jack plate, fully rigged and trailer.

You asked for info on what would happen if you turned the boat into a CC. There is a very small pool of people that would know the answer to it. Paulsboats maybe the only one. If you would have asked about the performance of the actual hull in its original configuration or a restoration of the boat I believe you would have gotten more response than you may have wanted. Please don't feel that anyone here ignored your question there just is not a lot of us with experience with converting a 17 foot checkmate to a center console.

Back