• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

West System Six10 epoxy

Madtown

Anybody try the pre-thickned epoxy that comes in a caulk gun? Was thinking on using it to glue my stringers,bulkheads & transom into place. Can get it for about $13 each. Then use cabisol for rest. I like that can use a caulk gun & has good "pot" life.

Eric

Thats funny that you have posted this because i was just talking with someone from Gougeon Brothers today about Six-10 and the work time which is 42 minutes at 72' f ,and weather or not x-tra static mixers would need to be ordered because the static mixers are more or less a one shot deal un-less you try to clean them .

Last edited:
Yeah the working time seems great & the mixer's tip has stepped gradations, allowing the user to nip the end for a 3/16" or 1/4" thick bead. This way I know its going to be mixed correct & get a good bond to the transom hull hopefully if I use this.

Eric

ive used it,it works well! like og says get the exta static mixers as thay are nearly impossible to clean.i didnt use it on a boat but used on aqua culture tanks for growing shellfish and i liked the results

Eric , the best bond you can get for a transom to the hull , in my opinion will be a putty made from Cabosil and resin which when used with ample ammounts of putty should fill all voids , and just curious are you thinking of pre- making your transom on the floor which can and will save you a lot of headaches in the long run , and to tell you the truth i personally will stick with old school ideas that ables me to kill two birds with one stone which is something that i have used in the past at different Boat Co's which is very simple and easy but once again your boat , your call . Hey guy , i am glad to see that you have made a better choice then some on here who have used PL in the past considering it is an adhesive used in the construction industry, and yes the Six 10 is a very good product and easy to use , and like paul mentioned you just might want to reconsider ordering X-tra Static mixers . because yes they really are a bitch to clean .

Last edited:
I was just thinking that Cabisol/Epoxy mix putty may work better due to being able fill voids better. Yeah no way PL is going to be used in my boat as I just do not trust it for boat use. Epoxy also seems to be more forgiving so I am all for that as this will be my first time with resins & glass.

I've used west systems epoxy for a multitude of projects from restoration of a 1946 Clyde run about to custom wood drift boats to residential construction and have found hand mixing works best. The nice thing is you can purchase empty tubes for caulk guns and fill them as you need to. This will give you the control you need and the ability to add fillers as required/recomended for the job. Not to mention if Gougeon Brothers can develop the anchoring system for wind turbine blades their epoxy can hold your transom in place.

I have stuck with West System products so far through my resto's and it has been easy to work with and very strong... I used six10 in my last boat just to try and save time mixing up thickened epoxy to set the stringer and fill some voids. There's not very much material in that tube...now I was paying $20 a tube so after I went through 2 to 3 tubes without getting very far I started to see it wasn't worth the cost. And I'll go head and echo the others, definitely get extra tips...If you're looking to just to have a bead of epoxy for setting stringers, floor, etc...mix up thickened and put it in a heavy duty freezer zip lock bag, cut the corner off and squeeze!

I've used it and it worked great for me. The price is a little much for how much you get but I thought it was well wearth it for my projects.

Well I burned through 3 tubes of it last night filet in the transom. Have to say the stuff is fantastic to use though. It's thickness is perfect for filling gaps & has long "pot" life. Just bought 6 more tubes of it also. Cost is about $100 shipped for 6 but its worth it due to ease of use, no mixing & no waste. I would recommend this product to anyone.

Eric

Last edited:
Back