• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

What plywood for stringers & floor?

ontopcop

I promise i searched the threads, i thought i knew the answer, had printed it years ago, but lost the paper.
Anyway... I'm not looking for fancy composite, just what is the best ply to buy at Home Depot or Lowes to use for making the stringers and floor?

I promise i searched the threads, i thought i knew the answer, had printed it years ago, but lost the paper.
Anyway... I'm not looking for fancy composite, just what is the best ply to buy at Home Depot or Lowes to use for making the stringers and floor?

Exterior grade 3/4" plywood for the stringers/knees and 1/2" for the floor.

Thanks. I thought i had read some time ago to use "Baltic Birch" plywood, the guy at lowes looked at me like i was crazy when i asked for birch plywood, and Home Depot said they had Birch.

I used marine grad plywood for my resto from Menards. Had to be special ordered but was on sale. My stringers are made out of 3/4 & doubled up on each side. Bonded them together with thickened epoxy. Floor was made out of half with layer fiberglass on each side.

Eric

Plywood

AC (1side good) or even CDX (no good sides) have exactly the same glue as Marine ply. The only difference is that marine usually has a couple of more ply's and the core voids are filled.

Almost all hardwood plywood has interior glue. Stay away from it!

You can get an aircraft grade Baltic Birch that has an exterior glue. It is very expensive.

I just got some for a friend with a Cracker Box in 4x10 3/8" Thick.
He re skined the bottom because the Okoume ply on the bottom delaminated. It must of worked, because he got 2nd place at the nationals just 3 days after putting a new bottom on his all wood boat.

For what you are doing AC should be just fine.

The 3/4 ac fir i get here is 7ply and almost never any voids in it..and you would never guess that it comes from South America.Then go over to the marine plywood stack and it looks like total junk. Made in USA. Whats up with that?

stringers

This is an old thread so I may not get any comment but I used 3/4 x 6
PVC board to replace my stringer------no more rotted wood. Has anyone else done that???
clarencio

Did the predictor with all marine ply 1/2 inch for the floor doubled up 1/2 for the stringer doubled 3/4 for the transom

Back