• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

ZT 230BR questions

Oh and BTW JY, not that this justifies that big of a speed difference but different boats pulled from the exact same plug can have 5-10% speed variation. I've read about it over and over through the years. I don't know if its a weight issue from heavy layup or straightness of the bottoms or what but I do know that its pretty common.

This may be true from a chopper gun mass produced Baja but I doubt that's the problem from a Checkmate. I believe the dream speed came from totally empty new boat with a skeleton driving it and 2 gallons of gas with the perfect air temp and never seen again perfect water conditions with a 100% perfect merc. engine that had some extra hp for some unknown reason.

Ask him and then share his answer.

No problem I will :thumb:

JY- I don't believe Wman has ever bought a car engined Checkmate. He's an eggbeater guy!

No doubt about that. As I recall, though, the 230 he drove was a boat Checkmate brought down to Florida for a Powerboat test and brought it by his shop for a run. Randy test-drove it, "was scared to death", retuned it to the dock and they loaded her up and took it back to Ohio, without it ever being tested by Powerboat. Maybe I dreamed this conversation with Randy though :).

I AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just said it was a scary ride over 65 mph. It was the very first time the boat was ever in the water. Checkmate brought a 23br with a 496/425HP down for a Powerboat mag test. We took it to the lake. After we brought it back, I saw that the outdrive would move back and forth by hand 3"-4". I don't know much about I/O's, but that would certainly make it chinewalk. I can drive just about any pad-V, but this one was outa control. I've been told that they did get it running right when it got back to Ohio.

A 230 with 496HO (425hp) won't run 80, at least not on GPS. Mine would do 77-78, at best, and that was by myself, in good chop and with low gas tank. That was plenty fast enough, believe me, felt like 100 cause it likes even more trim then chekmates usually do and ran with very little hull in the water......it would out-run a lotta 80mph boats, though. Ran a 27p Mirage to get that speed...

As far as driving over 65mph....not a big deal....just like driving an outboard. I had a foot throttle which even Kip thought was strange on a I/O but it helps to keep both hands on the wheel. You can't just run WOT in that boat holding the wheel still, takes steering wheel adjustments

Yes if the outdrive has that much slop in it, it's gonna be hard to control. Mine didn't move maybe 1/8" left/right.

With a big block and that kind of speed, what that boat needs is external hydrualic steering, full, not assit, because the stock merc steering has too much play. I did not have that in mine, would have been even easier to control I think.

-Craig

Back