• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Blackmax 200 tach issue

Pepperson4

200 Blackmax . Good compression. Took it out and tach was all over place and motor not charging. It’s the 40amp system. I changed voltage regulator and it runs flawless and charges at 14v . After a few times out same thing again. Is my stator bad and cooking my VR? Anyone ever converted to the 16amp regulators ? The 40amp ones are about $300 used. I know I need a flywheel, stator, rectifier , and maybe a voltage regulator ?

What year motor?That setup may have more than one regulator? What type of battery are you running? Flooded cell is recommended if I remember correctly. Make sure all grounds are clean and secure. Make sure all of those little bullet connectors are clean and secure too. Back in the day, charging systems weren't that robust and would be over taxed by continually trying to recharge low batteries. Back in the day also, Merc tried a few different types of charging systems that would give up if you gave them a stern look. CDI offers some good products. I have had good results using their stuff.

What year motor?That setup may have more than one regulator? What type of battery are you running? Flooded cell is recommended if I remember correctly. Make sure all grounds are clean and secure. Make sure all of those little bullet connectors are clean and secure too. Back in the day, charging systems weren't that robust and would be over taxed by continually trying to recharge low batteries. Back in the day also, Merc tried a few different types of charging systems that would give up if you gave them a stern look. CDI offers some good products. I have had good results using their stuff.

All connections are clean. Ordered a cdi 16amp stator and rectifier . Will report back . Also got a 16amo flywheel

Back