• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

283 checkmate 2000, how to make it run 90,

Cat320lc

:thumb:What do I need to do to make it run 90 or more, thinking about get getting imco -2, what prop, has 830 hp now does 80:devil:

:thumb:What do I need to do to make it run 90 or more :

A lot more $$$$$$

Give us more info on what the setup is now, cause honestly, with 830hp, that thing should be going a lot faster than 80.

From my experience, and a lot of talking with the Jason at the afore mentioned Kunkel's Marine, don't waste your money on a -2 lower.

A lot more $$$$$$

Give us more info on what the setup is now, cause honestly, with 830hp, that thing should be going a lot faster than 80.

From my experience, and a lot of talking with the Jason at the afore mentioned Kunkel's Marine, don't waste your money on a -2 lower.

A single 283 is a lot of hull for a single. Friend had I think a 1996 that he dropped an Ateco 540 (~600 hp) cu in exchange for his HP500 and it ran 72-73. Was a 65-67 mph boat with a HP500 FWIW.

Consensus says $$$$$$=HP's to go 90 though! Good luck!

30 p prop 4 blade bravo
5400 rpm at 80 mph
6 psi boost
3 people on boat
3/4 tank of fuel
283 2000 checkmate

The Gold standard for a 283/300 was Bill and Monica's all white single 1500Hp twin turbo /#6 drive on a extension box. If I remember correctly he ran that boat to 115-117mph. You can find posts and pictures about that boat on this Forum. He now owns the only Checkmate 43 Punisher and sold the white boat(I think without the big power)

At 80mph I suspect you are 5... maybe 8mph short of what your boat is capable of with 830hp. I don't know if you need setback or a short drive or a different prop. But as has been suggested Kunkels Marine has done a lot of rigging for speed and testing on the 283/300. If they can't get more out of what you have, then you need more HP.

Hope you find success.

The Gold standard for a 283/300 was Bill and Monica's all white single 1500Hp twin turbo /#6 drive on a extension box. If I remember correctly he ran that boat to 115-117mph. You can find posts and pictures about that boat on this Forum. He now owns the only Checkmate 43 Punisher and sold the white boat(I think without the big power)

At 80mph I suspect you are 5... maybe 8mph short of what your boat is capable of with 830hp. I don't know if you need setback or a short drive or a different prop. But as has been suggested Kunkels Marine has done a lot of rigging for speed and testing on the 283/300. If they can't get more out of what you have, then you need more HP.

Hope you find success.

We actually ran 120 in the 300 when we had the engine set at 1725 hp.

Our 270 BR runs right at 79-80 with a 700 HP AETCO 540 and weighs a lot less than a 283. It's going to take some serious HP to run 90, a boosted engine for sure.

This is an old thread and the OP has likely moved on.

That said, he did indicate 6 psi of boost, he could possibly turn it up if it is more HP that he needs and to get another 10mph. He probably needs some set up adjustments and more HP to get all 10 mph.

80mph in your 270 is moving well with a 700 HP 540cid and it's a great looking boat as well. But you might find some speed still in it with the right set up too?

This is an old thread and the OP has likely moved on.

That said, he did indicate 6 psi of boost, he could possibly turn it up if it is more HP that he needs and to get another 10mph. He probably needs some set up adjustments and more HP to get all 10 mph.

80mph in your 270 is moving well with a 700 HP 540cid and it's a great looking boat as well. But you might find some speed still in it with the right set up too?

Thank you. Yes, with the right prop and some lab work I'm sure there are a few MPH left.

Back