• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Motor Height Help???

Daddio

I have some pics of motor setup.
I am trying to understand the measurements

I think I am 5 3/4 inches below the pad.

Any Ideas where I should be???

Last Weekend I tried a 24"Trophy Plus on my 23 Enforcer
97 225EFI w/ 4 butterfly intake and 250ECUs
and was getting 59.7mph at 5500

Thanks
Daddio

If your prop shaft is 5 3/4" below the pad, you are way too low! With 4" set back and 2" below the pad, my stock 225 will run 59 on gps with a 23" Trophy+. It ran 61.4 with a 25" TurningPoint at only 5000 rpm's. You need to get the motor up. I am running a Bob's nose cone with low water pick up, but that is more than likely slowing me down a few mph. boatman

HERES SOME MORE

Is the second pic what you call the pad and is the measurement from the bottom ?

I am running about 7 inches of setback

Daddio

Attachments

• motor height.jpeg.JPG
    motor height.jpeg.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 45
  • pad.JPG
    pad.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 35
measurement looks corect your just too low

4 1/2 to 5 1/2 all the way down

looks like a 5 inch set back ( the thickness of the plate)

daren

raise the motor and try a tempest or tempest plus

The plate is a CMC 5 inch plate with 1 3/4 inches of
spacers (1/2" uder the plate and 1-1/4 on top)

I spaced the plate to stop the steering from hitting
the transom and plate when tipping the motor up.

Daddio

It looks like you have plenty of upward djustment on your pplate. In fact, if I'm seeing correctly, it looks as though it's adjusted all the way down. Start moving it up while keeping an eye on your H2O psi. You do have a water pressure guage, don't you?

If you have water pressure gauges, and your top holes plugged... RAISE that baby!

I run 10" of set back, motor holes ALL the way up, and jackplate 96% up.
I have all water holes open, and heat is only an issue when trimmed up.

Just watch that temp.

Time to start raising and doing some testing. Make sure you have a water pressure gage installed and start raising the motor up. You are going to be very surprised at how much better you boat handles. Plus the gain in speed.

3 liter motors dont have great water pressure
to start with 10-15psi .
And yes I have a H2O guage and the top 3 holes
plugged.

Was really looking to see how high people are
running without nosecones ?

Weather starting to change hoping to get out one
more time but Noel dampend last weekend maybe
this one will be better . I did hear flurries ??? WTF !

Thanks for the input
Daddio

The Starflite hull has that similar vee pad but also has a 6" transom notch which would allow for a little more height. Most of us run between 2-3" below pad with a standard gearcase. I would start at 3 1/2" and go up till you start to lose water pressure or speed and then drop it down 1/4".

3 liter motors dont have great water pressure
to start with 10-15psi .
And yes I have a H2O guage and the top 3 holes
plugged.

Was really looking to see how high people are
running without nosecones ?

Weather starting to change hoping to get out one
more time but Noel dampend last weekend maybe
this one will be better . I did hear flurries ??? WTF !

Thanks for the input
Daddio

Hey Daddio, I installed mercury scoops on my lower unit to retain water pressure at elevated motor heights! They worked great and were only about $45.oo. Easy to install also! My alarm never goes off now no matter how high I jack the motor and I never lose water pressure.

Hey Daddio, I installed mercury scoops on my lower unit to retain water pressure at elevated motor heights! They worked great and were only about $45.oo. Easy to install also! My alarm never goes off now no matter how high I jack the motor and I never lose water pressure.

I had reached the "up" limit of my "no LWP equipped" engine height last test session out a couple of weeks back. I had a set of the Merc scoops on the bench and had installed them last week. I was intending on testing with them this weekend but my dead trim motor got in the way. I'm @1" below the pad and 9.5" back and am holding pressure....for the most part. Every once in a while, I see the gauge "twitch" which tells me I'm on the brink. I'm thinking the scoops will aleviate that. Might even get another 1/4" or so....:cheers

What do they look like and where did you get them.

They are rectangular pieces of steel that follow the curve of the gearcase and are installed over the gills thereby forcing water flow into the gills rather than just passing by as the case moves through the water. Your local Mercury/Quicksilver dealer should be able to order them.

Back