• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Going V-bottom next

PA-Checkmate

I'm a bit late on the intro, but here goes. From 1998 to 2005 I ran a 98 STV Euroski with a 280 Mercury on the back. For the past 4 seasons since 2005 I have been running a 21 Skater with the new Mercury 300xs. It's for sale so if anyone is interested just send a e-mail or PM. I'm keeping the 300xs for a new Checkmate Pulsare(2100 or 2400), but leaning to the 2400. BTW, I'm over here in Western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh.

And I also run www.stvowners.com if anyone wishes to stop over and talk a look.

going wings next

ive got one of each and cant think of what to go to next. theres nothing like my priceless check, but theres no ride like a tunnel. maybe i will start with a helicopter, one i can pull behind my boat, or a submarine, that way im already down. man, your in for a treat, and once you feel the v, i bet youll go back, or up . but ill bet youll be bored until you get a 13' plank bottom skiff leaking from lack of caulking cotton.

Attachments

• cabin fly by.jpg
    cabin fly by.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 38
Good for you!!

I think you will be happy.

From what I hear, the Skaters ride like they are on a cloud. That is not the case in the real rough stuff with a 2100. Don't get me wrong, it does well, but it was not meant for major off-shore like conditions. I am sure that the 2400 will do a little better.

As far as looks and gel work, the Checkmates (2100 or 2400) are second to none!

I had a tough time choosing between the 2000, 2100 and the 2400. The major deciding factor was that I wanted it to fit well in my temp. controlled garage year round. The 2400 would have required me to angle it, and I didn't want all that waisted space. To this day I wonder what the 2400 would have been like. Especially considering I bought a 300XS mid-way thru this summer.

Good luck and take your time with the decision!:)

HD27

Skaters love rough water especially anything above 85mph. I do my boating on a short stretch of a river so it really doesn't get that rough to enjoy the skater. Also a big concern is getting hit with a sideward wave at high speed... not a fun feeling. Getting older, it's time to slow down some. My STV would run over 110mph, the Skater 90+, so slowing down to 75-85mph will feel like a joy ride. I think the wife may even enjoy it more especially if I get the 2400.

I think you will be happy.

From what I hear, the Skaters ride like they are on a cloud. That is not the case in the real rough stuff with a 2100. Don't get me wrong, it does well, but it was not meant for major off-shore like conditions. I am sure that the 2400 will do a little better.

As far as looks and gel work, the Checkmates (2100 or 2400) are second to none!

I had a tough time choosing between the 2000, 2100 and the 2400. The major deciding factor was that I wanted it to fit well in my temp. controlled garage year round. The 2400 would have required me to angle it, and I didn't want all that waisted space. To this day I wonder what the 2400 would have been like. Especially considering I bought a 300XS mid-way thru this summer.

Good luck and take your time with the decision!:)

HD27

Any boat can flip when getting hit from the side including cats. Remember you have a sponson-tunnel-sponson to get over that wave. Hitting the same wave headon and it just keeps flying. My Skater is 21ft and it would hard to find another 21 V-bottom that could keep up in the rough water. Now I don't want to start a war over that comment, but as many here know I'm going back to a V-bottom just because it's more of a family boat. And... it give has the need for speed...

So what happens when this occurs? Do you lose control...risk flipping?

I'm actually contemplating a cat for my next project. What is a one like yours worth? Got any pics?

Nice looking boat over there. I really like it. I have noticed they command higher used resale prices than almost anything. Is there a big demand for the 21' Skater? I know there are a couple of clones now that Douglas no longer builds the 2...like the Trick.
The thing that appeals to me is the high freeboard compared to most of the other 21 cats like Talons and Daytonas.
Do project boats (Skater type) that need restoring ever come up for sale? I need to get in a lot cheaper than $18,000 w/o power.

Back