• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

What size is this Holley Carb?

bigsbetter

I got my new (old) carb today and want to verify it's size. I can't find ino on it on the net. The list numbers are '3700' then under that is '1.45' It's a 4150 series, double pumper w/4 corner idle. no choke horn.

all the holleys i've owned 650's,750's,780 850. the 850 was the only one w/ 4 corner adjusters . hope it helps i know i read about em & probably have a book or article somewhere :brickwall:

all the holleys i've owned 650's,750's,780 850. the 850 was the only one w/ 4 corner adjusters . hope it helps i know i read about em & probably have a book or article somewhere :brickwall:

Yep....I've had a Holley book and loaned it out and never got it back!:brickwall:
This is an E-BayCArb. and the guy said "He was told it was a 950"..I need a 950. I just can't find the 3700 list numbers which seems odd to me??:mad:

Come on guys!! Help Me Out Here! Does anyone have any 850's or 950's around that they could measure the 4 bottom butterfly's. Or tell me what number is on them? It doesn't seem like this should be hard, but I must have an odd-ball carb. or something???

what are the #'s on the butterflys ? a lot of these custom carbs are done with peices ?? I'll look on my 850 and see what the butterflys have on them, 4 corner idle is a simple metering block change...Rob

The numbers on the butterfly's are 180. I measure the openining and they measure 1.74" The main part of the carb. has 1.45 stamped in the side, and that is what the bores measure down inside the carb. 1.45". Here's some pics.

Attachments

• DSCN0034.jpg
    DSCN0034.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0032.jpg
    DSCN0032.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0033.jpg
    DSCN0033.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 8
I have owned a bunch of holley carb's, but never have I seen a 950? I know that many many years ago, they made a 3 barrel 900. I would call holley and have tham run the numbers, or maybe even Barry Grant carbs. I have talk to the people at BG a couple of times in the past and they were very helpful. boatman

I have a older holley 850HP double pumper with the down leg bosters like in your pick with the 4 corner idle. Model 4781 and it has the 180 flaps in it. The throttle bore on the primary and secondary is 1 3/4

I have a 750Hp DP and it has the 172 flaps in it.

Last edited:
Thanks Red. When you measured for the throttle bores, did you measure from the bottom plates or from the top of the carb? The bottom of the carb is the baseplate and would not be the actual 'bore' of the carb. body? My bottom plates measure about 1.75 but center bore of the body is smaller...as I'm hoping yours is too. It's a little harder to measure....but important, Thanks again!

my 850 DP also has 180's so it's at least that...holley does now make a 950 blower carb, never used or had one so don't know what size it is, but there are mod carbs out there that use weird peices and claim to be a 950, a friend we race with bought one from AED...Rob

Thanks Red. When you measured for the throttle bores, did you measure from the bottom plates or from the top of the carb? The bottom of the carb is the baseplate and would not be the actual 'bore' of the carb. body? My bottom plates measure about 1.75 but center bore of the body is smaller...as I'm hoping yours is too. It's a little harder to measure....but important, Thanks again!

I did not measure it I got the bore specs from my Holley book

I won't bet the farm on it, but I'm guessing that you r carb is an 800cfm. If so, these were very good carbs. The best carb I ever ran on my drag car was an 800 Holley until I went to a 1050 dominator. boatman

I won't bet the farm on it, but I'm guessing that you r carb is an 800cfm. If so, these were very good carbs. The best carb I ever ran on my drag car was an 800 Holley until I went to a 1050 dominator. boatman

I dont agree boatman all the 4150 800's have a 1" 11/16 bore

Ok I've been doing a lot of research...getting more imfo. I found a site that had a list of all the throttle blade sizes and throttle bore sizes and Venturi sizes. I was confussed with the throttle bore and venturi bore, but the way I understand it is the throttle bore is where the butterflys are and the venturi bore is the diameter of the 4 main holes in the main body. With that said, According to the chart, a Throttle bore of 1 3/4 front and 1 3/4 rear (180 stamped on the blades) and a venturi bore of 1 9/16 front and 1 9/16 rear would make it an 850...My venturi bores are only 1.45, so I'm thinking it's something closer to a 800...they did not show my excact venturi size:irked:...so now I was getting a little sad..discouraged, Untill I read on another site about the Holley HP series 4150 carbs. It was some professional carb site, not just a forum, but they said the HP have a special countured main body, and they shoed a pictured of it, which looks just like mine. In the HP series a HP 950 will have a smaller venturi bore size than a regular 800 series 4150!!! Now I'm getting more excited thinking I've got an HP. So I'm back to you guys to post some pics of any carbs you've got around to try to see if I for sure have an HP??? If you've got a HP or just a regular 4150 take a pict of the top of the carb looking down through it and post it. Thanks!!

Attachments

• DSCN0034.jpg
    DSCN0034.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2
Better pics showing the special contour of possibly an HP???

Attachments

• DSCN0040.jpg
    DSCN0040.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0041.jpg
    DSCN0041.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 5
hope this helps!!!

i found my 80496 950 hp and took some measurements

plate is 1.75"
venturi bore is 1.3" -ish

sorry the last pic is really bad, tryin to hold the cloth tape, adn take a pic was tough, and the camera puts a weird angle on it, so it dosent look like im holdin it right..:confused:

hope it helps ...buss

Attachments

• carb1 (Large).jpg
    carb1 (Large).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6
  • carb2 (Large).jpg
    carb2 (Large).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5
  • carb3 (Large).jpg
    carb3 (Large).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4
Back