• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

THE NEW BAJA/CHECKMATE/BAJA ????

I am really starting to feel sorry for the Combs now. Dock Holiday over on oso with his Miami boat show postings is acting in "my opinion" after reading his post is, because of all the Baja people that came over to Checkmate when they shut down created some kind of super new boat that will blow any Checkmate away that was ever built. And the gel coat job was out of this world.

Checkmate always had a kick A$$ looking boat and in my opinion and Checkmate always had the best gel-coat jobs. My boat is soild red and a 96 and I will stick it beside any baja from 96-08 and bet 500 my gel work looks better.

I know their is a lot of good people working at Checkmate that came from Baja an a lot of people that worked at Checkmate went to Baja because its a job and we all get sick of it after awhile a need change.

But to act like its all the Baja brains making the company work and piss on all the old Checkmate stuff because this new boat is going to look like a Baja is just a stab in the back to Bill Combs.

I just hope this new boat does not look like a Baja

And Checkmate has made boats over 30'

If you are referring to my statement, let me try this again...I SAID "IF" CHECKMATE TURNS INTO THE NEW BAJA, I WILL BE DONE WITH THEM. And I know that Checkmate builds boats over 30 and if you read, my Formula is just under 30. And again, I said the Formula FIT MY NEEDS better. LOA does not make a boat, it is in its ammenaties. I know the Combs from back when I used to sell and work on Chekmates starting aroun 1990 and have bought new and used Checkmates long after I quit selling/working on them. I have always said Checkmate is about the ONLY compnay that can build a black boat and have it look good. I am glad to see that Mike and Kip are still at C-mate, I just happen to disagree with building a C-mate that looks like a Baja.

i talked to mike today on the phone and a very nice and helpful guy he is!!!!!! and i will say the same for kip...... if this whole deal goes sour i will hope that they (the 2 of them) keep all of us happy making respectable boats!!!!! i'm sure this will all get figured out before to long and it will go by the way-side:cheers:

keep your heads up guys......-ross-

If you are referring to my statement, let me try this again...I SAID "IF" CHECKMATE TURNS INTO THE NEW BAJA, I WILL BE DONE WITH THEM. And I know that Checkmate builds boats over 30 and if you read, my Formula is just under 30. And again, I said the Formula FIT MY NEEDS better. LOA does not make a boat, it is in its ammenaties. I know the Combs from back when I used to sell and work on Chekmates starting aroun 1990 and have bought new and used Checkmates long after I quit selling/working on them. I have always said Checkmate is about the ONLY compnay that can build a black boat and have it look good. I am glad to see that Mike and Kip are still at C-mate, I just happen to disagree with building a C-mate that looks like a Baja.

What are you smoking man my post was not directed at anybody but Dock's post on OSO

Lighten up, you will have time to get worked up if the new boat pics are a disappointment.
:D

Only time will tell where the future of Checkmate is headed. We will soon come face to face with one of two outcomes.

1) Doug decided to keep true to the Checkmate styling and get those customers who truly love the style. :thumb:

2) Doug abandons the decades of award winning style and performance and goes after the bleach haired, gold chain wearing, Baja customer from the 90's. :sick:

illmattic, you summed it up.....if #2 happens It would be over as far as I'm concerned. As Red has stated, they have to keep the characteristics that let you know it's a Checkmate from across the water. Change & improvements is fine, as long as you can still distinguish them.

-Craig

historyTitle.jpg

pic-1.jpg
checkmate-text.jpg
is about speed. Speed is in our DNA. It’s been this way ever since the day in 1963 when Bill Combs set out to build the finest, fastest, best performing racing boat at his factory in Bucyrus, Ohio. Bill was obsessed with racing. He began by modifying boats and he thought it made sense to build his own racing outboard – and Checkmate was born. With his high performing outboards, and his sons, Bill hit the racing circuit in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Almost overnight, Checkmate and racing became synonymous. Throughout the ensuing decades, Checkmate continued to dominate the racing circuits.
pic-2.jpg

As the racing line developed, Checkmate entered a new category -- the performance boating market. Soon, Checkmate was renowned for being one of the premium performance boat manufacturers in the country. True to its roots, Checkmate continues to build quality boats using time-tested methods and styling.
Checkmate’s legendary reputation for speed and it’s incredible styling and finish appealed most to Doug Smith, former co-founder and president of BAJA marine. Smith dusted off the cobwebs and rekindled the fires of his love for speed. In 2007, Doug Smith grabbed the opportunity to re-join the performance boating industry. Leveraging Checkmate's top notch quality and outstanding performance record, Doug inaugurated a new era in Checkmate’s history. True to his word, Doug Smith will continue to uphold the classic styling, high standards and commitment to quality that’s always been part of the racing icon called Checkmate.

Hopefully this statment is the truth and everyones concerns are just that...concerns.

I found this post very intresting. It was made buy XT innovator for the people that dont know his shop is located behind Checkmate.

He proceeds to tell this guy in the Baja forums abount the new Checkmate.

#48 XT-Innovator
Custom Interiors & More
gold_member_star.gif
Gold Member

7-Bajas, all gone!

Tristar,

You might want to take a look at the new 244 Checkmate also. I was very impressed with it, and I could not believe the value/cost ratio. It is a clean looking 24' boat, just like you like. Be the first to have one?

Like you said, the brand is just a decal on the side of the boat!

XT
cool.gif

Why would he say this if the 244 zt did not look like a baja

I found this post very intresting. It was made buy XT innovator for the people that dont know his shop is located behind Checkmate.

He proceeds to tell this guy in the Baja forums abount the new Checkmate.

#48 XT-Innovator
Custom Interiors & More
gold_member_star.gif
Gold Member

7-Bajas, all gone!

Tristar,

You might want to take a look at the new 244 Checkmate also. I was very impressed with it, and I could not believe the value/cost ratio. It is a clean looking 24' boat, just like you like. Be the first to have one?

XT
cool.gif

Why would he say this if the 244 zt did not look like a baja

:sick::sick::sick:smiley.gif

be an optimist 4 a min. maybe the baja guy didnt want a checkmate ? or dare i say he is as die hard bout baja as we are bout CHECKMATE ! just tryin to make sense out of it :eyecrazy:

the pics that i got to look at of the 25 fish boat are gonna blow you away i am sure if you like that 28 with the twin outboards then i dont think you will be dissapointed with a smaller boat with the capability to have the same amount of hp. on the back.

only the pics will tell and soon i cant wait. i dont know anything about the 244 but the 25 ft boat looked impressive.

25 should be the smallest check with the most hp from what i saw

better question is mph. hmmmm adrenialine junkies are ya

to put it better i dont even really fish and i want that boat from what little i have seen of it.
:cheers:cheers it is like waiting for christmas presents or pics.

Back