• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Boating with Big Red on LKN

SCT

Well, I got a call to go prop testing on Lake Norman today with the infamous Big Red!
It was a little windy and cold but we made several good passes for some GPS #s on a borrowed labbed 28' Bravo. I won't mention any #s but his boat runs strong and Jayme can actually drive a boat. I've got to say his 242 has got to be the cleanest origional 94 out there....bar none. The dude is beyond anal!

I took a few pixs before my memory ran out.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
BigRed wearing his Checkmate hat w/ pride-

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 59
i like the " no gps #'s"!!!!! it makes me think:devil: is it another-

"blown milk check"??????????? hmmmm:surf:

We stopped by Kasey Kahne's house for a BUD but he wasn't home (at least for us).

Attachments

• phpjrn869PM.jpg
    phpjrn869PM.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 49
The boat is really a 96 I told SCT 94 to see if he really was up to date on Checkmates
24.gif
. The 242 I believe was introduced in 96 and I am 90% sure the one I own was the first one off the line sold by Kunkel's Marine.

The best thing about the day was we had the lake to our selves. I tried a new Merc.Racing factory labbed 28p prop. that came factory on a 26 foot 600SC Baja.

The boat did some funky crap first at cruising maybe at 2800 rpms no trim it leaned very bad to the left SCT had to get in the back. Once we got that figured out around 3500 rpms the prop was blowing out bad. Around 4000rpms maybe 1" of trim was the best the prop felt.

We put are life jackets on and life line and decided to hammer. 5100 rpms 1/4 trim the boat felt like we were running across a frozen lake with no control then the prop would blow out and kick the back of the boat out.

We put a new meaning to chine walk today. This prop was designed to lift a baja if I gave my boat full trim today it would have flipped over backwards.

Best speed today with the 28p baja prop was 76.1 at 5100 with the prop blowing out and chine walk from H E L L my boat is good for 5800-6000 rpms. Its just amazing what a worked prop can do to a boat.

It was fun and we did get some beers in after testing and could not find no boats to pick on.

Last edited:
Back