• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

'88 Starflite Resto (SOLD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has their take on how to fix the stress cracks... depends on how deep they are. Mine all seem to be superficial gel only cracks, for mine I'll grind them out to 1/4 - 1/2" depth/width and fill with dyna-glass or similar. If I find any that need more attention, I'll grind wider/deeper fill with glass and reinforce the backside as needed.

Thx for the tip on windsheild. I've checked it out - seems pretty straight forward, just not to that point yet.

Josh sounds like how my windshield was attached to the boat. Mine has four sections, one each side, two on the front. Those T-bolts will probably snap on you. You might try a little wd-40 to make it easier, I believe a 3/8" socket. I ordered 18 T-bolts from Mike @CM on Friday to replace the old ones.

ezstriper

Josh sounds like how my windshield was attached to the boat. Mine has four sections, one each side, two on the front. Those T-bolts will probably snap on you. You might try a little wd-40 to make it easier, I believe a 3/8" socket. I ordered 18 T-bolts from Mike @CM on Friday to replace the old ones.

I was wondering, I have tried looking for ezstiper for decals such as yours but I have yet to find it on the internet, do you have there number by chance, and was wondering about painting, I have a few questions, basicly the gel coat is dead and I had to repair all the dings and small gouges on her and filled in the screw holes from the bow rail I have opted to leave them off, to save money I was thinking on sealing those areas sanding and using touch up paint in those areas, sanding her down and then just clear coat her, I dont know if this will work or not, thanks.:irked:

I was wondering, I have tried looking for ezstiper for decals such as yours but I have yet to find it on the internet, do you have there number by chance, and was wondering about painting, I have a few questions, basicly the gel coat is dead and I had to repair all the dings and small gouges on her and filled in the screw holes from the bow rail I have opted to leave them off, to save money I was thinking on sealing those areas sanding and using touch up paint in those areas, sanding her down and then just clear coat her, I dont know if this will work or not, thanks.:irked:

Start a thread in the paint section of the forum, I'll be more than happy to answer your questions. This is a restoration thread Josh started for his boat.:thumb:

Josh don't know if I posted this or not but here's a way of laying up you transom, stringers and floor. OG might have a different way doing it. Hopefully he'll post some comments.

Attachments

• TransomBuild.jpg
    TransomBuild.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 34 Stringers.jpg
    34 Stringers.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Decks.jpg
    Decks.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 35
Josh don't know if I posted this or not but here's a way of laying up you transom, stringers and floor. OG might have a different way doing it. Hopefully he'll post some comments.

My glassing schedule was close to Robby's for the transom/stringers and the floor. I did use 2 layers of 1708 for all the tabbing (8" wide 4" and 4" and 6" wide 3" and 3") over 2 layers of 1708 that covered the transom and extended 10" forward on the sides and 1 layer of 1708 on the glass skin extending 16" forward on the sides and bottom before installing the plywood. Definate over kill.

In my case I used West epoxy for the transom and the stringer setup at the back, around the gas tank. Since I was new to working on a fiberglass boat
I relied on the more flexible epoxy in the transom area for a stronger assembly. Now that I am a little more knowledgeable I know that poly resin is good enough for the entire resto.

I used poly resin for the stringers forward of the gas tank bulkhead and the plywood floor.

I will be using only 17 oz biax w/epoxy resin and cab o sil. Plan on overkill myself, do it right, do it once ;)

I'm still trying to "fix" the transom design on the Starflight, so far all my concepts entail endless hours of extra glass work.

Pretty much how I expect to do it, thanks. Gonna put my overkill strategies to work though. I used to do all sorts of composite/fiberglass work when I was an Aircraft Maintainer so that will be the fun part. Too bad uncle sam ain't buying all my materials for this project too. :eyecrazy:

I will be using only 17 oz biax w/epoxy resin and cab o sil. Plan on overkill myself, do it right, do it once ;)

I'm still trying to "fix" the transom design on the Starflight, so far all my concepts entail endless hours of extra glass work.

Mike at the factory asked me if I planned on hanging a pair of 300's on the back.

Pretty much how I expect to do it, thanks. Gonna put my overkill strategies to work though. I used to do all sorts of composite/fiberglass work when I was an Aircraft Maintainer so that will be the fun part. Too bad uncle sam ain't buying all my materials for this project too. :eyecrazy:

My cousin is in the USAF and always tried get him to order parts thru uncle sam...:devil: He just got back state side from Turkey, now is stationed in R-Kansas(Arkansas):lol:

Mike at the factory asked me if I planned on hanging a pair of 300's on the back.

Should have told him nope, just want it to hold a 300 for more than 10-15 yrs before it's sagging....:poke: :lol:

Another decision to make is the interior, talked to a local shop today that rough quoted me $1K... or do I just get the new interior from CM w/composite seats/etc for $1800... hmmm. My "budget" project has gotten as out of had as I expected. :brickwall:

Another decision to make is the interior, talked to a local shop today that rough quoted me $1K... or do I just get the new interior from CM w/composite seats/etc for $1800... hmmm. My "budget" project has gotten as out of had as I expected. :brickwall:

I was afraid to look at what I spent until after I was finished. I did have a
slush fund for the project and my family was already grown and done with college. I didn't have the restrains of a young family to hold me back. I did spend more than I should have, but I will only live once and at my age what the hell do I have to worry about beside waking up on the bottom side of the grass.

I did go with the factory interior. It was a good decision for me.
I caught the factory at the right time. They only had one interior before me
and they shipped mine on the day quoted. I did order 5 months before I
needed it.

I was afraid to look at what I spent until after I was finished. I did have a
slush fund for the project and my family was already grown and done with college. I didn't have the restrains of a young family to hold me back. I did spend more than I should have, but I will only live once and at my age what the hell do I have to worry about beside waking up on the bottom side of the grass.

I did go with the factory interior. It was a good decision for me.
I caught the factory at the right time. They only had one interior before me
and they shipped mine on the day quote. d. I did order 5 months before I
needed it.

Eh, who needs diapers anyway! My little buddy doesn't say diapers, but he does say swimming and boat!

I could keep it "reasonable" but I'd kinda like to be the first knucklehead with a 300xs on one.... I'll prob order factory too as soon as i figure what colors I'm painting.

Yep...

...going to do the same doing the same thing! Curious to see how yours turns out. I'll be back home on the 10th...got a lot of catching up to do. I'm pretty dure step on is going to be: build a cradle.

^ HD, yup... just gotta figure out what colors I'm going to paint. Few extra $$$ to have seats that will NEVER rot is worth it. Uncle Sam will print more $$$ :rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back