• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Joining the Obsession!

Ajviskovich89

Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am considering purchasing my first Checkmate for this summer. By far the best looking boats out there. Hopefully summer comes around, we are still under about 4 feet of snow here in upstate NY along the St. Lawrence River.

I've been looking at a couple of 1850 BR that have gotten my attention. Not looking to break the bank here just something to go cruising around in.

The first one is a 2011 that belonged to a member of this forum (JJG). Beautiful looking boat. I've been in contact with the dealer who he sold it to and I am wondering if he is asking a fair price for it.

The second one is a 2005 with a Merc 200 on it. Looks to be in good shape but for significantly less money (asking 16k)

Any advice would be helpful guys. Thanks I appreciate it!

How do you guys think the Pulsare will handle in a little bit of chop? I have had friends tell me it may not be the smoothest ride out there but I have been drooling over that boat for a couple weeks now. It's keeping me up at night!!!

What do you guys think an acceptable offer would be on that boat? Obviously I'd like to ask JJG what he got for it but would that be "unethical"?

Nothing unethical about getting info before purchase especially when it's comes down to dealers. What they gave Jeff may not be what they really have in it. They could show 20k on paper but in reality only have 15k in it. dealers play games showing customer higher trade ins on paper than they are really putting into the trade.

I have actually been in contact with a local dealer in the area and asked him what a wholesale value would be on something like this. Hopefully he gets back to me. I used to be in the car business so I know all about mark-up. Just a matter of coming to terms on a value. The dealer is really pushing me to buy this boat. Maybe he wants to get off of it. If I could get it for 20-22 I'd buy it tomorrow.

How do you guys think the Pulsare will handle in a little bit of chop? I have had friends tell me it may not be the smoothest ride out there but I have been drooling over that boat for a couple weeks now. It's keeping me up at night!!!

Keep in mind that boat has a 100" beam so the ride will be smoother than a comparable 19' boat with say a 87 - 92" beam with similar deadrise. That boat cruises wonderful at 52 - 55 mph in a moderate chop. 63 is top end btw with the labbed 23 tempest that I sold it with.
For the short time I had that boat I had some great times on her !!! Some I remember and some were told to me as a story. :cheers:

I have actually been in contact with a local dealer in the area and asked him what a wholesale value would be on something like this. Hopefully he gets back to me. I used to be in the car business so I know all about mark-up. Just a matter of coming to terms on a value. The dealer is really pushing me to buy this boat. Maybe he wants to get off of it. If I could get it for 20-22 I'd buy it tomorrow.

:welcome: If you think you may want to go to a 2000BRX I have it listed on this forum and it is like new condition. I may be able to come down from the price if your interested. I copied the link below and I also have the dealer I purchased it from list it for me. It has all the extras and some more.

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28752

Attachments

• 20130914_125842.jpg
    20130914_125842.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 5
  • All Inside.jpg
    All Inside.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4
  • motor left.jpg
    motor left.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 4

Not sure how big the river is up by you or what you are looking to do with the boat. What kind of boat do you have now and how does it handle the water?

We ran our Predictor for 2yrs on the St Lawrence (our only boat at the time) and got beat up pretty bad. There were more than a few trips we had to come home at idle as our part of the river gets very rough (clayton, cape vincent, a bay etc). In 1' the predictor was fine and you could fly over the chop. Anything bigger wanted to launch the boat and the boat was not long enough to span the waves. I would think 2 more feet would not make a huge difference in ride quality as the waves get larger.

Thats when we bought the 253 and it would handle anything the river would throw at it but not the lake. Our part of the river put my brother in laws 25 eliminator on the trailer when we would make it home at 35mph in the 253, broke my other brother in laws 10 year old seebold Eagle 21 into pieces after 4 years of pounding (the hull literally failed and came apart in pieces), broke his brand new 26 profile into pieces (hull liner fully seperated from hull twice) after 2 years (i know profile is crap but still) and caused them to buy a 34' scarab.

If its calmer water up there I would highly suggest the pulsare or something like it. If its like our water by the cape for the money you are spending you could get a very nice convincor and take it out when you want not when the weather dictates you can. I would just hate to see you invest the coin and then want to upgrade in a year or two.

Back