• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

To rebuild or trash ?

Howdy
I have an 85 Enchanter that's in need of a little repair. A "little" as in 90% rebuild.
Right now the cap is off and half the balsa is out. My 1st problem is I'm not sure what the true shape of the hull should be. It sits on a trailer not meant for the boat and that may be what caused the problems in the 1st place. I'm thinking I'll jack up the boat on the flat pad underneath and then support the rest where it naturally relaxes. At that point I can move the trailer bunks where they should go and then redo the balsa, glass, stringers floor,etc.
Any input much appreciated.

i feel ya started ripping out floor of my 84 enchanter this weekend, but put cap back on it will help true it up and go from their,,good luck

A lot of people on this board will tell you to do it. Not me though. I think there comes a time when the "juice ain't worth the squeeze" on some old boats. There are a lot of turn key boats for sale that you will spend less on and enjoy now, not 3 years from now.

Been debating it for 3 years. I have another boat so this is just for the experience. Tried to sell the motor but I don't have a title for it so the people who were interested in it wouldn't take it. (maybe its on the boat title ?)
Cant keep the cap on while doing the floor. Looks like balsas bad all the way up. I jacked the stern up and screwed 2x6s to the bunks and snug to the hull bottom. Hopefully that's close enough to its true form.

A member just posted a good boat in the "checkmates for sale" thread that would be great to put your motor on. Member name bhillard

Thanks for the info. Ill check it out.
At this point Ill keep at it. Chiseling out the balsa now.
I do roofing so on days like this when its 6 outside I have a little extra time for a project.
When I have to start puttin up some cash I might have a change of heart. Motor hasn't run in 3 or 4 years so that's something to look into as well.

I bought a project boat...started and never finished. For me it wasn't the so much the cost or amount of work, it was the TIME. I couldn't finish it...So I bought one that was very usable for more money, but still good value. Having decided to restore that one, I'm having the factory do it. A spendy proposition to be sure, but once again, it wasn't the cost, it was the TIME. I just don't have enough of it to devote to working on the boat. It's hard enough sometimes to find the time to simply enjoy it.

I'm with Old Navy on this one.

I hear ya and agree. I usually work all winter long but sometimes Im just not into cold or rain or to hot anymore (slate and copper roofing) so I try and have some project to mess with. Spent the last couple years workin on the other boat and a new house so this boat was put aside. I look at the resto projects on here and get inspired.
Then I think of all the cash I put in this thing years ago.
Tough choice and I need to figure it out

Sounds like a lot of work some pics would be nice. I'm in the middle of a restoration on my exciter right know but farmed out the wood and paint work (out of my league) i'm doing mine for the sentimental value definitely not for resale. Good luck!!!!

225 efi merc. Late 90s. Im not an out board guy but the last person that looked at it said it was a combo of an efi and something else. Ill get pics.
Tried to load some from the laptop but it wasnt happenin. Got the motor back in 07 from Blackbird (?) In Pennsylvania

You have one other thing I didn't have: a lot of space to work! :drool:

That is sometimes even harder to come by than time.

The space is good but i do have to run a business out of it so it can get in the way. Hopefully it can sit there for the winter without moving. Now i gotta fit the deck in somewhere.

Back