• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1975 75hp Stinger 2

Just bought a V-Mate I with a 75 HP Stinger2 on it. Anyone have any tips or hints about this motor? I hear its pretty hot running motor. Hasnt ran for awhile but had it running today and sounds good. What is a good mixture ratio for this motor?

I'd never heard of that engine 'till I did a bit of research. You might check out the Johnson outboard subforum on Iboats.com, there are some guys there who are very knowledgeable about engines of that vintage.

Hey Rebel, That motor was 1 in OMCs stable that thoroughly pissed Mercury OFF...It just whooped them in every race, some say they put out more than the 75 that they were advertised at. The real Hot Johnson Stinger or Evinrude Strangeler was the 15inch Shaft with hard motor mounts,Performance gear case and Hotter setup if I recall correctly. Heres some killer links for you, you have a special motor, I just sold a 1976 Johnson 75 Stinger in rough cosmetic shape but a killer runner,but needed a update, for $1100. So hold on to her and restore her. Is it White with a checkerboard decal or Orange? Heres the link http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2785774040101354590zLNXnY That is a 1975 Johnson Stinger race model, if you look at the other links you can view the complete 1975 Brochure, go back to the album and view the 1976 production models with the white and black cowl, their is a TON of Evinrude information by Liquidnirvana, Ken is his name and like me hes a Evinrude, Johnson FREAK, but he takes it too a all new level. If you ever need more information please contact me. Brannon Cell-920-295-2069 or worner_brannon@yahoo.com

Hey Rebel, That motor was 1 in OMCs stable that thoroughly pissed Mercury OFF...It just whooped them in every race, some say they put out more than the 75 that they were advertised at. The real Hot Johnson Stinger or Evinrude Strangeler was the 15inch Shaft with hard motor mounts,Performance gear case and Hotter setup if I recall correctly. Heres some killer links for you, you have a special motor, I just sold a 1976 Johnson 75 Stinger in rough cosmetic shape but a killer runner,but needed a update, for $1100. So hold on to her and restore her. Is it White with a checkerboard decal or Orange? Heres the link http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2785774040101354590zLNXnY That is a 1975 Johnson Stinger race model, if you look at the other links you can view the complete 1975 Brochure, go back to the album and view the 1976 production models with the white and black cowl, their is a TON of Evinrude information by Liquidnirvana, Ken is his name and like me hes a Evinrude, Johnson FREAK, but he takes it too a all new level. If you ever need more information please contact me. Brannon Cell-920-295-2069 or worner_brannon@yahoo.com

Thank you much for the info. What I have is 1975 75hp, it is the orange one but a 3 cylinder. It took me awhile to find out anything about it, everyone around here has nothing but Mercury. Someone told me it came from factory ported and higher compression head than the standard 75hp and was tweaked for better performance. It had me worried first few times I ran it because it only ran on 2 cylinders and compression checked 120psi 30psi and 120psi. I guess the person who had it tried to remidy it because it has new coils, plugs, black box and other odds and ends. I hoped it was just a stuck ring and filled that cylinder with mystery oil to soak but it did nothing to help. I was ready to tear into it when someone mention seafoam so I tried it. 5 minutes fogging seafoam into the middle carb and man it came to life. That 30psi compression came back up to 80psi and comes up a little more every time I check it. That thing sounds wicked, has a very crisp cackle to the exaust. Cant wait to get it back out on the water and see how it runs now. Should push that little 15 footer around quite nicely. Here is a pic of the motor, still needs cleaned up a bit but you get the idea.
stinger.jpg

Just bought a V-Mate I with a 75 HP Stinger2 on it. Anyone have any tips or hints about this motor? I hear its pretty hot running motor. Hasnt ran for awhile but had it running today and sounds good. What is a good mixture ratio for this motor?

Evinrude or Mercury TC-W3 oil @ 50:1 6000 RPM and lower, 25:1 over
6000 RPM. The motor will turn 6700 RPM with the right setup on a 13-14' Allison, 8000 RPM on a good tunnel. Top speed on a v-bottom (my record) in APBA was 70.560 mph (1980). A better mix is Evinrude synthetic XD-100 oil @ 50:1, any RPM. With 19 degree spark advance you'll need somthing better than pump 93 octane to insure against burning a piston.

1975 was the fastest powerhead, lightweight rods and pistons. Yours is 1975. 130-135 psi is the low end of compression. A good 75 with good ring seat pulls 150-155 psi. The motor should be set up to turn 6000-6500 RPM.

Thank you much for the info. What I have is 1975 75hp, it is the orange one but a 3 cylinder. It took me awhile to find out anything about it, everyone around here has nothing but Mercury. Someone told me it came from factory ported and higher compression head than the standard 75hp and was tweaked for better performance. It had me worried first few times I ran it because it only ran on 2 cylinders and compression checked 120psi 30psi and 120psi. I guess the person who had it tried to remidy it because it has new coils, plugs, black box and other odds and ends. I hoped it was just a stuck ring and filled that cylinder with mystery oil to soak but it did nothing to help. I was ready to tear into it when someone mention seafoam so I tried it. 5 minutes fogging seafoam into the middle carb and man it came to life. That 30psi compression came back up to 80psi and comes up a little more every time I check it. That thing sounds wicked, has a very crisp cackle to the exaust. Cant wait to get it back out on the water and see how it runs now. Should push that little 15 footer around quite nicely. Here is a pic of the motor, still needs cleaned up a bit but you get the idea.

stinger.jpg

Evinrude Hustler, the Strangler was the V-4 racing motor.

What is it you want to know about this engine, those were real good when they were shorts, that engine has the high ring pistons and light rods and crank, good stuff, let me know what you need

I have one of these engines new in the box that I would love to sell for the right price. Stored in the dry for almost 50 years.

Reactions: JW
Back