• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1995 21 Checkmate Pulsare LD.. 90+ mph boat

It came out of Wisconsin, I thought hard on this one at the time. A active club menber owned it and it is not stock at all if it has the same motor on it. he was getting very high 80's out of it at the time.

Wisconsin

And yes, it did come from Wisconsin. I purchased the boat from a friend here in Jax close to a yr ago. NO, it's not a secret Wildman prop and Yes it's a STOCK 250. Funny stuff.

yep

thk he got around 92 out of it with 300x on it and 18" of setback. I took 4" out of it, it slowed it down 1 mph but it's a better all around boat now. My speed is from the way it's currently set up. I know it would do more with the extra 4" setback and cooler weather.

Boat runs what he says period.

I am the guy that bought the boat from the guy in Wisconsin, when i got it, it had a 300x and ran 92-93 with not the perfect setup and a 250-260lb guy driving. Wildman is getting 96mph with a 300xs which is pretty much the same as a 300x or a little less due to the fact they have to spin an air pump and that steals away 10 or so hp. It doesn't really matter what motor it had, the boat runs 90.7 the way it is. Sean ran 90.7 on the limiter at 6400-6500 with the buzzer sounding for about 1/4 mile. Boat would have ran 92-93 with more prop or getting rid of the revlimiter no question about it. Sean lost 1mph by reducing the setback 4" as well, but boat handles better and you can keep the bow down better when the water is rough. As far as the motor its stock, never had a bolt turned on it, a 250xb is basically a 300 promax with 2deg less timing and a little less compression. They put out about 275-280hp when you open up the top of the cowl for better breathing. Sean normally runs a 4blade out of the box prop that cracks 90, but the 90.7 was with a Carter "super secret" 3 blade cleaver, that i own. I've been around the boat running the speeds he runs and it's no BS. Just because someone you know, or even yourself has a boat with the same hp sticker on the cowl and you can't get the speed as someone else has doesn't mean they are not telling the truth. I guess i'll have to figure out how to use my gopro and let sean use it. If someone did buy the boat, just having the rev limit removed would give it a couple more mph and if they wanted to buy my "super secret" cleaver it could be for sale as well. Thanks

I have heard that the fuel in Fl helps make a few extra h.p.. Is this true? I have a friend who took his 38' fountain to keywest for a winter and loved it. Once he refueled with Ohio gas he said he lost 2-3m.p.h.

Ok, I am going to jump back in again. As far as the speed, it may be true. But, you just hit the nail right on the head! In my previous post, I said it would take 275hp to run that kind of speed. If the this 250xb is making that kind of power, then sure it will run 90. But not all motors are the same, every now and then, 1 will slip through the crack that just runs way better than it should. As for the experts, funny thing is, there a bunch of people on here that are just that! So yes, you could learn something, like maybe that a 300xs is actually faster than a 300x and burns half the gas. And the fact that others have ran the 250xb on 2100 Pulsare's with lesser results. We have seen a couple of members, BADBK being 1 of them, that ran high 70's with a 225 on a 2100. The nor is around 74-76. I had a 2100 with a 2.0 150 that ran 60(radar) and only gained 6mph when I went to a 200efi. So was it a good 150, or a bad 200? If you really want to talk experts, go to Wildman. He has spent countless hours setting these boats up with different set back, engine height, props, and I am pretty sure he has never came close to 90 with a 250hp motor. But remember, actuall horse power is the factor. Not trying to get into a pissing contest or start one for anyone else. But when you come on to a site where people eat, sleep drink, and breathe Checkmate boats and start posting that your 250hp motor is nearly as fast as the 300's, yes you will stir up some attention. If you go through and do some research on this site, I think you will find that the rule of thumb is 5 mph for every 25hp and it holds true in nearly every situation except for like I said before, the motors that seem to slip through the cracks:bigthumb:

Maybe by some chance there's 1 or 2 haters on here that can't drive there boat to its full potential? Is that a general rule of thumb also?

Ok, I am going to jump back in again. As far as the speed, it may be true. But, you just hit the nail right on the head! In my previous post, I said it would take 275hp to run that kind of speed. If the this 250xb is making that kind of power, then sure it will run 90. But not all motors are the same, every now and then, 1 will slip through the crack that just runs way better than it should. As for the experts, funny thing is, there a bunch of people on here that are just that! So yes, you could learn something, like maybe that a 300xs is actually faster than a 300x and burns half the gas. And the fact that others have ran the 250xb on 2100 Pulsare's with lesser results. We have seen a couple of members, BADBK being 1 of them, that ran high 70's with a 225 on a 2100. The nor is around 74-76. I had a 2100 with a 2.0 150 that ran 60(radar) and only gained 6mph when I went to a 200efi. So was it a good 150, or a bad 200? If you really want to talk experts, go to Wildman. He has spent countless hours setting these boats up with different set back, engine height, props, and I am pretty sure he has never came close to 90 with a 250hp motor. But remember, actuall horse power is the factor. Not trying to get into a pissing contest or start one for anyone else. But when you come on to a site where people eat, sleep drink, and breathe Checkmate boats and start posting that your 250hp motor is nearly as fast as the 300's, yes you will stir up some attention. If you go through and do some research on this site, I think you will find that the rule of thumb is 5 mph for every 25hp and it holds true in nearly every situation except for like I said before, the motors that seem to slip through the cracks:bigthumb:
The debate on 300x vs 300xs hp has been talked about many times, but i've seen and talked to several guys that have actual dynos and the X motors seem to normally put out 10hp or more. Yes i've also heard that there a couple guys have replaced an X with an XS and picked up some speed, how tired was the X that was replaced? I do know that the xs gets great gas mileage, way more than an X. I'm not debating the motors, I'm just stating the fact that sean's boat with the stock 250xb runs 90.7. Sean and myself eat, sleep, drink fast boats/cars etc, and not just Checkmates. Sean takes his boat out prob 2-3 times a week and has spent many hrs/time with his combo and obviously he's got it right. I guess we can say he's got one of the top fastest 2100 checkmates on the forum, not the fastest but i bet it's the fastest 3.0L that isn't a 300, 300x or 300xs. I don't need to learn from any so called experts with slower boats, nor does Sean.

Weren't the early xb's a factory improved motor aimed at the bassboat market, with changes in porting, fuel mapping, and possibly compression, done to improve power. How is the fuel consumption. Does this motor have the modification done to the cowl.

at the end of the day you have a great boat and I bet that anyone with the money to purchase can see if the boat will run the speed stated. I remember when wildman put his video on youtube of his pulsare doing 96 there where people on youtube saying that it was not a true video and that the shot of the gps was edited in.

Small world alert .....i just spent a hour with the guy that sold the this boat to bluehealer. He has a 23 eliminator for sale.. funnny, not that it matters.

I think initially everyone got torque up as the add makes it sound to good to be true. we all hear about how fast boats are when there are for sale. 90.7 one time doesnt add up to over 90 every time out to me...just my opinion. I think you need to have a 95mph boat to say that when dealing with such a finicky hull.

I can see where this is heading, but what the heck! The 300X vs 300XS comparison came from Wildman, and all of his testing is done on new boats and new motors. So some of the people you have talked to weren't as fasr with the XS, were these motors on Checkmates? We are not talking about Alisons or Hydrostreams. Randy has posted his results right here for everyone to see, no tricks, no edited video's. He has sold boats with both motors, so he has nothing to gain or loose. Now, like I said, this 250xb may run 90mph on a 2100, but I bet there are 9 out of the same 10 that won't. I never said the boat wouldn't run 90, I said it won't do it with 250hp. And by the way, if you think for 1 minute that you know so much that you couldn't learn anything from some of the guy's on here or anywhere else, you are only fooling yourself!:cheers:

What pitch ya running to get 90? I'd say its possible for sure, I had a 300hpdi that was probably 280ish hp, running 28p to 6100 just shy of 90. 64-6500 w/ 28p+ would push ya over 90.

How'd that clever run, I've heard they don't get much bow lift. Guessing ur super special clever ain't stock either.

$13.5k is great price.for a clean solid 85+ mph Pulsare. GLWS.

By the way, while being caught up in the speed thing, I forgot to mention, it is a great looking boat! Good luck with the sale.

Back