• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2100 BR questions for you

Great information everyone, and Thank You!

How about some advise on plugging the top two holes one the side water pick ups, can they be tapped and small plugs threaded in or is everyone filling them and painting them? Would be cool to just tap some small threads and locktite a couple "set screw" type plugs in there.

Mercury sell a kit with tapered threads for the top 3 holes for the standard lower unit. It leaves four open side holes. I just tapped mine with 5/16, inserted 5/16 short length set screws and used red loctite. Good for three years now. I’m not sure if I would plug yours, you won’t have much extra cooling.

Last edited:
I agree he will have to monitor his water pressure closely. I have the same TorqueMaster lower on my 300R with 3 holes per side (plus the lower torpedo intake holes). However, Mercury recently went back to 5 holes per side on the latest Torquemasters to gain cooling if the lower intake was plugged some people say. I suppose if you have it jacked that high that the top holes are sucking air, perhaps it would do better plugged. Either way, keep you eye on the water pressure gauge at different speeds and record the current pressure and then after plugging the top holes. If it remains good, perhaps you can plug the center hole, but it only has 3 so be careful.

I will take a closer look at that, and yes, I will be watching the press.

I have a trophy plus question or two....

I found a 27 trophy plus, are these all small hub props?
Will I need the extra ring on the lower unit end to reduce exhaust and cavitation?
Based on your past experiences (all of you) should I be looking at a 25 or a 27? in your opinion and past testing.
thanks

My boat isn't as new as yours but here is what I have seen and done over the years. First get a bow cover makes a big difference. I have a 250XS with 12inchs of setback. Hydraulic jackplate and labbed 27 trophy plus (no exhaust ring with 2 opposing vent holes plugged and the 2 remaining holes with the small hole plug). top speed to date full tank of gas and cooler full 78.9 mph GPS.

my old setup was a 225 pro XS on a 2100br with 11.5" setback TM with 1.75 gears. it would run 77 in the right conditions and 75 everyday with me alone with a 27p Tempest plus . I ran with a bow cover and a surfboard under the cover to make it tight. I then upgraded to a 300xs with a sport master 1.62 and swapped to a TM 1.75 gears for better all round use with again the 27p tempest. with the 300 it runs low 80's with 2-3 people and I have seen 84 @6300 but could feel it get loose and backed off . this summer I will be putting the Sportmaster back on and trying to dial it in for speed. the 250 should run 77-78

I run a 27” Trophy plus on a 250 Pro XS. I’ve ran with and without the ring. it only comes small hub. 27” is the prop you want for speed. With your set up the 25” will be bouncing off the limiter. 25“ would be for about a 200hp.

The Trophy Plus is the small hub, the Trophy(no plus) is the large hub. I tried the cavitation ring once it didn't stay in place long and got eaten. I also have the vent holes mostly plugged off with only small openings in all four.

The Trophy Plus is the small hub, the Trophy(no plus) is the large hub. I tried the cavitation ring once it didn't stay in place long and got eaten. I also have the vent holes mostly plugged off with only small openings in all four.
If a cav ring helps your set up, and the plastic rings failed, you can order an aluminum ring from Mark Croxton which does not melt or suffer severe cavitation burn.

I wonder if owning two different pitch props for these Pulsare 2100 boats is a must. I haven’t tried my new 25 pitch Trophy Plus yet but I will tell you that my 23 Pitch Trophy Plus performs very well for water skiing and tubing. The time to get on plane is under 3 seconds and the 20mph to 65mph acceleration is impressive.

I wonder if owning two different pitch props for these Pulsare 2100 boats is a must. I haven’t tried my new 25 pitch Trophy Plus yet but I will tell you that my 23 Pitch Trophy Plus performs very well for water skiing and tubing. The time to get on plane is under 3 seconds and the 20mph to 65mph acceleration is impressive.
I think in most cases a prop that runs the best top end with just the driver and / or one passenger and the prop that does good for skiing with 2 - 4 people in the boat will not be the same prop. If you have an engine with a high rev range like say a 400R which is rated to be propped for 7000 rpm, then you have a bit more leeway, because a lower pitch prop will still pull good, but if it can rev to 7000 rpm, the top end will be good as well. Imagine if your engine could turn your 23P Trophy to 7000 rpm, the top end would be very good with the same acceleration.

Picked up a 27 Trophy Plus to try out. Snowing here now so gonna have to wait........
I need to add a ski pylon for water sports. I see everyone has a tripod style. The ones I find have a pretty large, bulky base on them. has anyone install anything custom on these? got any photos of them.

Bow cover will make a HUGE difference and it allows your hull to air out easier and carry the nose. That was worth at least a 2 if not 3 MPH if I remember correctly on my Pulsares.

I have 3 props that I change depending on conditions. One for all out high speed runs with 1-2 people on the boat; one for cruising with 2-3 people and one for 4+ people/water sports. With that said, at least two props is a must.

What exactly do the vent holes do? I have a prop with vent holes and one without, the boat seems to run the same with either prop. Never understood what they do.

What exactly do the vent holes do? I have a prop with vent holes and one without, the boat seems to run the same with either prop. Never understood what they do.
It allows you to introduce some air into the blades so that the prop actually slips a bit and gets the rpm up quickly into the powerband. So if you have a larger pitch prop or larger diameter prop, it allows you to get on the plane faster. Once the boat speed picks up, the vents have almost no effect since the exhaust is coming thru the hub again due to the least resistance. If the prop already spins up to say 3000 rpm the moment you pin the throttle, opening the vents might cause excessive slippage and make it more difficult to get on the plane.

Randy's setup's & rigging were second to none. I wish I had bought one of his Checkmate's when he was selling them. He also was using some secret recipe props if I recall correctly to get the speeds he was getting.

Randy's setup's & rigging were second to none. I wish I had bought one of his Checkmate's when he was selling them. He also was using some secret recipe props if I recall correctly to get the speeds he was getting.
Randy disclosed his secret prop was/is a Trophy plus 27P

Back