• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

540 EFI Build-up Thread

I have gotten a little more progress done on the motor. I am at the point where I have nothing more to do until more parts arrive. I was able to prime and leak check the oil system. My mechanical gauge at the front of the oil galley showed 60 psi with a Ryobi drill going as hard as she could. No leaks. The original 8.5-9 (stock 8 qt. pan) quart oil system has now been increased to 12 qt. with addition of the large oil cooler and two large oil filters. I was surprised when the 11 quarts I had wasnt enough! I modified a couple leftover stock brackets and cut the old MEFI1 brain box down to still retain circuit breaker and salve solenoid yet be large and sturdy enough to mount the new ECU. I was able to reuse my lower MEFI1 harness for the ignition, starter, and dash gauge senders. That all went on pretty easily with hardly any modifications.

I also got some of the Bravo Shop's specially blended NEO drive oil in the mail. Supposed to protect better than AMSOIL Severe Gear which is good stuff and Redline Shockproof.

I took the liberty to finish compounding out the top deck of the 253 once I no longer could work on engine. Still need to glaze and wax the top deck but I think I finally got all the oxidation out. Looking purdy.

I also wired the second oil temp sensor to my single temp gauge with a 3 way switch. Now I can flip the switch to see oil temps coming out of block (pan temp) and going back in (after cooler/t-stat). I also installed an on/off switch on my wideband AFR gauge since it was on whenever my batteries are turned on. Slight oversight on that one when I first installed it.

Supposedly half of the EFI parts shipped last week and they should arrive today or tomorrow. Should be crank trigger kit and all of the sensors. Only thing I am waiting on is the main harness and ECU. I will probably mount the sensors and maybe drop engine in the hull before ECU arrives.

0713141452_zpshtb6kbyq.jpg
0713141452a_zps0roh9plr.jpg
0711142056_zpsnc4b6zmv.jpg
0711142055_zpsjs2aljg3.jpg
0709141745_zpsjan4jl2a.jpg
0710142150_zpsavqf5zgl.jpg
0713141431_zps2oqjuzpp.jpg
0713141359_zpsobcvtotx.jpg
0713141359a_zpsf4x4bqnq.jpg

Looking good. I think we will have both of ours finished around the same time. I'm sure you're just as excited as I am.

looks good ron! just have that girl dialed in before august 22nd and bring her up for our event!!!!:cheers: keep up the good work:thumb:

How is she coming along? Have you received all of your EFI parts?

Just got the tracking info from Alex and UPS says monday delivery. Im getting tired of sitting on my hands waiting but it is soooo close. Alex is working on my base tune right now so i will have it ready to go. I am working on a fuel pump relay setup right now and i was able to install the dampner. The crank sensor reluctor wheel goes between the pulley and dampner so i went ahead with it.

I feel like Santa leaves you IOU notes every year. Checks in the mail. Parts shipped yesterday. I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a cheeseburger today. And so on and so on..:brickwall:

Back