• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

'81 Evinrude 235 hi perf fuel pumps

JV

I was going to replace my existng hi-perf pumps on a '81 E 235 TRLCI , but instead of buying the complete fuel pumps, I ordered the diaphram kit(thinking that those are the parts that wear) for the hi-perf pumps from a local marine shop. When they came in I brought my pumps in with me to make sure they were the right ones. Well they weren't, and he set me up with a kit from a 150 Commercial which did look the same. My question would be,"Are these the same parts?","Will they harm my motor using them?" or "Should I look for another boat guy"

I was going to replace my existng hi-perf pumps on a '81 E 235 TRLCI , but instead of buying the complete fuel pumps, I ordered the diaphram kit(thinking that those are the parts that wear) for the hi-perf pumps from a local marine shop. When they came in I brought my pumps in with me to make sure they were the right ones. Well they weren't, and he set me up with a kit from a 150 Commercial which did look the same. My question would be,"Are these the same parts?","Will they harm my motor using them?" or "Should I look for another boat guy"

There should be an OMC part number printed on both diaphrams, if they match, then okay, otherwise I would look for a new parts person. If you run into trouble, there is a place in Seattle Washington called Sea Way Marine. They specialize in older OMC parts. Have your serial number ready from your motor if you call them. There number is 1800-332-0803 and their web site is www.sea-way.com

To do a little thinking out of the box. The fuel pump on the 2.4 merc died. After looking at the price of a replacement pump from merc. I went a different route. I installed a carter electric with internal regulator, the pressure is set at 4.5 psi. This solved my fuel problem and as a side benefit I no longer has to pump the prim bulb. Also makes it nice to remove the fuel left in the tank for storage.

rooster_3.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

Thanks for the info guys. I know the new pumps will be around a buck and a quater; what's the cost of a carter elect? Is there alot to installing the elect fuel pump..?

The carter street elevtric pump with a 72 gal per hour, the pump puts out 4-5 psi. You can buy these from jeggs $57 or summitt for a few bucks more. You will need the fitting and hose for the fuel line. Wiring is real easy. I bought a 12v relay and a dash switch from radio shack. The relay coves with a diagram as does the pump. I also installed a in-line fuse. It sounds harder than it was. It took me longer to mount the switch and pump than it did to wire it.

rooster_3.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

Back