• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Advice on 92 Starliner setup

Check'd-out-NW

Just came into posession of a 92 starliner with at 175 hp merc ob, cmc jackplate, 24p 4-blade prop. Looking for ideas (will probably re-power (225-250 merc efi?)over the winter)on right set-up. Boat presently does 52mph indicated on dash speedo @ 5200 rpm. my limited knowledge tells me to go to a lower pitch prop to get the rpm's up. Curious to know the right height for the jackplate. Also is a bow cover much of a help when running for fun?

All ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Just came into posession of a 92 starliner with at 175 hp merc ob, cmc jackplate, 24p 4-blade prop. Looking for ideas (will probably re-power (225-250 merc efi?)over the winter)on right set-up. Boat presently does 52mph indicated on dash speedo @ 5200 rpm. my limited knowledge tells me to go to a lower pitch prop to get the rpm's up. Curious to know the right height for the jackplate. Also is a bow cover much of a help when running for fun?

All ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Welcome to the board! First you should start out with a level prop shaft and bottom, with the prop shaft 3 inches below the pad. HTen you can go up from there. Make sure you have a water pressure guage. Some people will swear a bow cover is faster, all I did when I put one on my last Mate was make it warmer on cool days. I picked up no speed at all. Mates are pretty rare in the greater Seattle area, good luck with her. Next time at Hooters on Lake Union, the all the girls Bill said hi! That place used to be my home away from home. I only lived out there for 3 years, but man do I miss it!

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 25P Mirage Plus

I agree with Bill, Get a base line as to what you prop shaft height is now, and go up from there. Keep a close eye on the water pressure.
On the tri-mate the differance between motor all the way down and all the way up, (I was at the limit of the last jackplate, I can go much higher now) was 17mph.

rooster_3.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

Bow cover has two huge advantages on my 21' Pulsare. 1) MUCH less wind up your shorts and in the interior when on plane. 2) 4 free mph on the top end
thumb.gif

I gain 150 rpm when I add my bow cover, and a huge increase in comfort. I got mine from Mike at Checkmate, call him at: 419-562-3881
They'll make you a custom cover that'll fit your boat perfectly, and send all the hardware to install it, for less than your local shop can do it.

1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI/ 1.87:1 Torquemaster/ RapidJack Heavy-Duty manual 10.5" setback/ 23" Tempest worked for ski duty

Thanks for the advice, another question is the right type of prop for the hull. I see JW runs a tempest, other places I see people ref. trophy props and laser II's. Is their any place on the web where I can can buy a used stainless blade at at decent price?

Bill, weather here today was 84, supposed to get to 90 tomorrow, i will definitely hit Lake Washington and run up the cut to Hooters at Lake Union this summer.

Appreciate the help

jr

Jr,

I no this is a shot in the dark, but do you no Scott pierce or Jim Bakke? Scott owns Seattle boat Co. on Lake Union and Bakke is a drinking friend of mine. Bakke and I also worked for the Unlimited team. Bakke grew up in the Renton area and his primary business is out of Kent and Lives in Tukwilla right by South Center. I know alot of People in Seattle...

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 25P Mirage Plus

I recognize Scott's name, almost used SBC to unload the starliner off of the transporter. I by day am the Area Manager for a large multinational corporation working in the industrial sector.

My toy activity has been some what limited with the soft economy out here.

I used to know an Eric Bakke years ago....

Thnx again for the clues on setup..

best regards

jr

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill:
Jr,

I no this is a shot in the dark, but do you no Scott pierce or Jim Bakke? Scott owns Seattle boat Co. on Lake Union and Bakke is a drinking friend of mine. Bakke and I also worked for the Unlimited team. Bakke grew up in the Renton area and his primary business is out of Kent and Lives in Tukwilla right by South Center. I know alot of People in Seattle...

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 25P Mirage Plus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back