• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Block off kit for merc 2stroke.. Explain

zcausey

So im having issues with my check beeping now since ive tried it out this year. never had any prob last year oil pump clearly worked well plus i always run a little oil in the tank just in case.. figure being a little rich wont hurt as much as building a new moto would.

So most people on here say do a block off kit and just mix it. im perfectly cool with that but dont understand the kit? why cant i just remove the pump and make the fuel line go directly from tank to motor? and add in the primer bulb and mix the oil before fueling ?

any info would be greatly appreciated , thank

87 merc 115 / 78 predictor

In layman's terms "the pump is actually on the block, if you remove the pump, you will have a hole... thus the need for a block off kit..."

So you mean a hole as in where it sits? It sits in this plastic tray that has straps that hold the pump on.. So I could just unhook it and fuel line the tank directly to the motor if I don't wanna remove it?

You'll want to remove all the parts if you're not going to use it. If you do a search on Screamandfly.com for oil block off you'll probably come up with the latest part numbers and where to get the kit.

In layman's terms "the pump is actually on the block, if you remove the pump, you will have a hole... thus the need for a block off kit..."

do you mean the block of the engine? my pump is beside my gas tank in my boat. i have a fuel line that goes from the tank to the pump and on that goes then from teh pump to the engine and thats it/ sorry if im a little confused this is my first boat and im trying to get the hang of things.

From what you are describing, you may have an aftermarket electric oil injection pump. Pictures are probably going to be necessary. Usually the oil injection pump is on the side of the motor with a small linkage from the oil pump to the carbs. When the oil pump is removed from the block, the recess must be sealed because the crankcase of a two cycle engine is an important part of the induction system.

oh got ya, yeah i def have an aftermarket electric one then. Im tired of hearing it buzz all the time now, either its not working or a sensor is bad. rather than spending time to figure out what the prob is id rather just move on. i just didnt know if that would make a difference with anything as far as the fuel coming straight from tank into motor. ?? :eyecrazy:

I like the pic of the boat, by the way. If I remember correctly, that electric oil injection pump was expensive. If you run the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump on the motor and pre mix at the tank, you will be good to go. If the oil injection pump is still good, it should be worth some dollars. Shouldn't be too difficult to de energize the wiring that feeds the oil injection pump. You could also lighten the load by removing the oil resevoir too.

yeah id like to remove it lol less weight plus i run dual batteries and i could move the battery on that side further in and off of the v onto the flat part. Thanks thats what ill do, maybe i could sell it as is lol i think its working because motor is always smoking good and i believe the oil is going down. maybe its a sensor but i hate being out on the water with a boat full of women and the damn buzzer start going off:pissed: :pissed::pissed: some times it will go off if im having trouble getting off plane too! just over it lol Not to mention ITS LOUD TOO

Your engine temp isn't running too hot is it? Do you have a strong tell tale stream coming out of the block? It could be an alarm for something else...

From what you are describing, you may have an aftermarket electric oil injection pump. Pictures are probably going to be necessary. Usually the oil injection pump is on the side of the motor with a small linkage from the oil pump to the carbs. When the oil pump is removed from the block, the recess must be sealed because the crankcase of a two cycle engine is an important part of the induction system.

oh got ya, yeah i def have an aftermarket electric one then. Im tired of hearing it buzz all the time now, either its not working or a sensor is bad. rather than spending time to figure out what the prob is id rather just move on. i just didnt know if that would make a difference with anything as far as the fuel coming straight from tank into motor. ?? :eyecrazy:

If your motor is a mid eighties in-line six, you probably have the Mercury Auto-blend which is a pump in the boat. If it is simply remove the whole unit and run a fuel line and primer directly from the tank to the motor and run pre-mixed fuel.

The block off kit is for the motors (V6) with a crank driven gear pump, which I would assume you don't have as In-line 6's never had a gear driven pump.

If you want to confirm 100% post pics of the pump, and the motor where the fuel line connects...

PS - As others have pointed out, the horn issue could be cooling. When was the last time the water pump was serviced?

Last edited:
Well I had my water pump impeller changed out last year so I'm thinking it shouldn't run hot or warm. Plus I'm like always looking back to make sure it's putting out a stream.

Well I had my water pump impeller changed out last year so I'm thinking it shouldn't run hot or warm. Plus I'm like always looking back to make sure it's putting out a stream.

Just because it is putting out a strong stream, doesn't mean it is running at the correct temp. You could have blockage somewhere in the engine and be running hot, yet still have a strong tell tale stream. Sometimes when the impeller wears out, small pieces break off and end up in different parts of the cooling system. Just a thought

Any tell tale signs of it running hot? Like rough idle or anything? Still runs super strong on top and also is running better at idle than its really ever been. How can I check the temp because I have no gauge

My 84 TOP came with a Merc made oil injection pump mounted on the floor. You can still buy parts for it through Crowleymarine.com . Get rid of it. It uses fuel flow to draw oil into the stream and yes it has an alarm. Go with 50:1 mix with merc oil and the ladies will be happier. Also, with all 2 stroke machines, more oil is NOT better. You are displacing gas which means a leaner fuel to air ratio. Add to that a lean pilot screw and you'll have a new anchor. Nice looking paint job on the bow!

Thanks I'll check that out soon! And ya I love the paint job. It's gettin buffed today and the horses in the rear and arrows on the back by the Mota are getting painted gold to match! Yeah buddy lol

Oil Injection Pump

Your 1986-87 Merc was the last year for the inline "tower or Power" 6 cy model. Those inlines had the infamous external OIL pump which mixed oil into the gas line prior to the carbs/engine. You are just fine totally removing it and the OIL sensor wiring and mixing 50-1 with a good 2 stroke synthetic. Believe it or not the Merc Premium 2 stroke oil actually smokes a little less with less carbon build up when idling around

Back