• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Can't find my rpm's ('75 Merc 1500)

Here is was all crated up and ready to go ... I have had this motor for a number years and it was very hard to get it passed 1500 rpm . I did a compression test and had found that number 2 cylinder only had 35 PSI while the other were at 140 PSI. Once in awhile It would take off and run . But now when you dump the throttle she takes off and pulls hard .

20130506_130028_zps7c591cec.jpg

Thanks, that's what I assumed from reading your post, that was for a "repair" of the shortblock, which is hardly what you would call a rebuild. Even at that, reading the invoice, did they not replace the cork seals in the block, how about the end cap orings. The most problematic issue with these in lines is the inner water manifold, and they didn't even take the outer cover off to look at the inner or replace either gasket. Looking at your pic of the repair with the pistons in the block, are you telling me they don't have the correct ring compressors?

This at best would be considered a quick repair of the block, two used pistons, some rings and a quick hone, $500? Line em up, I'd do them all day for that.

I only bring this up because this post is VERY misleading. Telling someone you can do a "rebuild" a powerhead completely for that amount of money. You didn't include your shipping there, how about your day or better doing the r and r of the shortblock, how about the incidental parts needed, did you rebuild the carbs? kits? rebuild the fuel pump? and that is only if you know how to perform those tasks correctly, and this is not the easiest motor to learn on.

I've rebuilt just about every in line you can think of from a Mark78 to Twisters, been doing them for 36 years and it's much more involved than that. As well as more expensive. Also, when I do them, I do all of the above mentioned work, dress it complete with all cowls and hanger brackets, you install it with one gasket, tighten 11 nuts and eight phillips screws, done.

Thanks, that's what I assumed from reading your post, that was for a "repair" of the shortblock, which is hardly what you would call a rebuild. Even at that, reading the invoice, did they not replace the cork seals in the block, how about the end cap orings. The most problematic issue with these in lines is the inner water manifold, and they didn't even take the outer cover off to look at the inner or replace either gasket. Looking at your pic of the repair with the pistons in the block, are you telling me they don't have the correct ring compressors?

This at best would be considered a quick repair of the block, two used pistons, some rings and a quick hone, $500? Line em up, I'd do them all day for that.

I only bring this up because this post is VERY misleading. Telling someone you can do a "rebuild" a powerhead completely for that amount of money. You didn't include your shipping there, how about your day or better doing the r and r of the shortblock, how about the incidental parts needed, did you rebuild the carbs? kits? rebuild the fuel pump? and that is only if you know how to perform those tasks correctly, and this is not the easiest motor to learn on.

I've rebuilt just about every in line you can think of from a Mark78 to Twisters, been doing them for 36 years and it's much more involved than that. As well as more expensive. Also, when I do them, I do all of the above mentioned work, dress it complete with all cowls and hanger brackets, you install it with one gasket, tighten 11 nuts and eight phillips screws, done.
For how much Bill?

Back