• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmates @ John H. Kerr Dam & Resevoir

safetynut

Hey Fella's,

I am trying to get a bunch of the local Checkmates together in July.

To be specific - I propose July 12th & 13th at John H. Kerr Dam aka Buggs Island Lake.

I'd like to set up some races and a get together out at the islands known as "The Bahamas". Check the charts for Buggs Island Lake and you'll see these islands in the middle of the lake not far from the dam.

For those that may be unfamiliar with the islands they are a chain of small uninhabited islands in the middle of the lake with clean sandy beaches and no one around to bother you or to complain if you want to crank up the music or grill on the beach, or have a cold one.

This is an ideal place to meet, central to many of us, and far enough from shore that you can run your exhaust as loud as you like.

Mark your calendars and let's plan on catchin' up at the Lake. Please respond here if you plan to attend and include your boat description so we can look for you out there.

:cheers

Follow up

John H. Kerr Dam is on the Virginia/North Carolina Line. If you are coming in from outside the area take I-85 to Exit 12 Rt. 58 WEST BOUND Follow Rt. 58 West to Route 4 SOUTH. Route 4 South takes you to the dam. There are public boat ramps on the Virginia and North Carolina sides of the Dam and many have no fee. A few charge $4.

I propose meeting out at the "Bahamas" at 2pm on Saturday July 12th. Depending on turn out we can plan more activities.

See you out there.:rof:

Well...

If you are in the area and want to catch up - mark your calendars.

I have some friends who will be bringing 3 Baja's and a Fountain.

Hope to see some Checkmates there.:welcome:

I will go thats close to my house. Good luck trying yo find local Checkmates. Might be able to talk SCT into it also

You can can count me in. I wanna see Big Reds babby. anyways can't wait. How do you get to the islands the lake is huge

GREAT !!!

"The Bahamas" as the islands are depicted on the chart are located between Kimball Point Campground in NC and North Bend Park (campground) in VA.

The islands are probably less than 3 miles WEST of the Dam and can be seen when crossing the dam on Route 4.

See you there...:rof:

S-Nut....if I have not sold my boat by then...count me in...sounds like fun! It looks like an easy drive from LKN, NC. Can I beat up on your local Bajas....? MAPQUEST said 3 hrs from my house to the lake.

SCT

SCT bring it on...

I look forward to seeing you there. Hope you have a ride by then if you sell your current boat.

Take care,
Safetynut aka Jim.
:surf:

I'm off work for 2 weeks at that time,The wifes brother lives in Charlotte maybe aroad trips in order.

One more..

I have one other guy who says he'll be there - but he's just bringing a plain-jane boat, no compitition at all.

I hope we get a pretty good group together for this. Spread the word.
:welcome:

Back