• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

..chicken pox on the hull

I agree with Mike on the new boat theory, but I disagree on the old boat theory. Older boats are more likely to have soft spots or damage. Also, I do not know of any material that when you put a large amount of weight on s small amount of surface, that is does not change the shape. Bunk trailers will do this if boat is not fitted properly. Rollers are for aluminum fishing boats and Bayliners, leave the bunks for the good glass boats. Just my 2 cents!

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 25P Mirage Plus

Well like Mike said, As long as the boat is through curing and it is not damaged and water logged, the roller trailer should not hurt. But as Bill said, the older the boat, the more likely it is to have or had damage at one time or another thus making bunks your choice. I would ask as many people as I possibly could this question and see what kind of responses you get from each one. Then make your decision. I would not make a decision off of what two or three people say......especially if there is disagreement!
thumb.gif

OK lets say he's gonna sand the bottom.....thereby opening the blisters....and then dry the hull.......for a couple of weeks...in an overheated closed up garage.......
What kind of filler for the blisters and what kind of paint.......or do you re-gel coat the bottom????which is better/cheaper/harder to do

I've got the same problem on one of my boats

I couldn't agree more on the importance of a good quality bunk trailer. It's a must. Get a C-Hawk, you won't regret it. Made right down there in Bucyrus. They're expensive, mine for the Pulsare was $4400 new, but well worth it.

I never could understand why people skimp on trailers anyway. There is something to be said about a nice looking trailer that compliments your boat.

-Craig

Craig, I agree that a trailer should compliment it's boat, and also that the trailer is very important as it's what transports that valuable posession from place to place.

Question: Is there any way to convert a roller trailer to a bunk trailer? Is this something that I can do rather then spending tons of $$ on a new trailer? Reason I ask is b/c my trailer is in great condition, and (in agreement with Craigs comment) I intended to drop it off for a full powder-coating and decaling to match the boat soon enough.

19'7" '87 Checkmate Ambassador - Blue on White.

Back