• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Depth Finder/Gauge

I was thinking about getting a depth finder and from the reading I've done it seems that a thu-hull transducer is a better way to go. I can't understand why everyone wouldn't go that way. Maybe you guys have an opinion on this?

Dave the problem with that is I would have to remove the bench seat and gas tank to get to the bilge area. But i've done that on other boats that were easy to get to.

Dave the problem with that is I would have to remove the bench seat and gas tank to get to the bilge area. But i've done that on other boats that were easy to get to.

I'm not familliar with either system. For the model that requires drilling thru the transom don't you still have to get to the bilge area?

I was thinking about getting a depth finder and from the reading I've done it seems that a thu-hull transducer is a better way to go. I can't understand why everyone wouldn't go that way. Maybe you guys have an opinion on this?

The directions for this transducer show's both ways, thru hull and on transom. On transom is more accurate, without a core and fiberglass in between the bottom and the water. On transom can cause a drag though, that's where thru hull is better.
In the case of the boats I've owned with the depth sounder, I mounted them on the transom but up 1/4" above the water when on plane so they really only worked at off plane speeds, but with more accuracy and no drag. Lots of ways to do it correctly.

Just showed my wife my 1979 album, Damn the Torpedos. Had to show her a 'young' Tom Petty.

jw 2 to 2 1/8" use two hole saws 2 "as guide mnted backwards in the 2 1/8" one . you get me ? cm i'm runnin a hummingbird 363c/gps depth/fish finder its a step dwn of the color screen 383model over $100 less i mounted it a bit different cuz my dash has a step in it . what do you 2 think of BOBS 2" spacers ? i got a set to add to my cmc 5.5i" j/p for my pulse

jw 2 to 2 1/8" use two hole saws 2 "as guide mnted backwards in the 2 1/8" one . you get me ? cm i'm runnin a hummingbird 363c/gps depth/fish finder its a step dwn of the color screen 383model over $100 less i mounted it a bit different cuz my dash has a step in it . what do you 2 think of BOBS 2" spacers ? i got a set to add to my cmc 5.5i" j/p for my pulse

zstevens do you have a picture of your dash? As for those spacers, you should be ok. You've got the same boat fiftyp has, i think. He's got a 10" JP
on his.

Transducer mounting

The directions for this transducer show's both ways, thru hull and on transom. On transom is more accurate, without a core and fiberglass in between the bottom and the water. On transom can cause a drag though, that's where thru hull is better.
In the case of the boats I've owned with the depth sounder, I mounted them on the transom but up 1/4" above the water when on plane so they really only worked at off plane speeds, but with more accuracy and no drag. Lots of ways to do it correctly.

Sorry to jump in here but I'm in the process of relocating my transducer. I want to mount it inside the storage/ski locker but aren't all Checkmates cored? I don't believe it will read thru a cored hull. Has anyone done it this way?

Doug (Enticer1):cheers

mine shoots thru hull . i mnted it about 8"from the transom behind the tank ,it worked great but i had an epoxy mishap so i've gotta redo it . cm i dont have a pic but i will try to get one i'm adding my h2o psi and j/p gauges . i bought a pod for em from egauge.com just cuz of the swiss cheese effect and line of site . plus the transducer mnt to far fwd wont work when your aired out !

mine shoots thru hull . i mnted it about 8"from the transom behind the tank ,it worked great but i had an epoxy mishap so i've gotta redo it . cm i dont have a pic but i will try to get one i'm adding my h2o psi and j/p gauges . i bought a pod for em from egauge.com just cuz of the swiss cheese effect and line of site . plus the transducer mnt to far fwd wont work when your aired out !

I assumed you removed the gas tank to install the transducer? I just added
psi and temp guages on my pulse. I have the cl of the prop about 3" below the pad right now.

Back