• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Evinrude Etec vs. Merc Opti Thread

Holy $$$$$ batman.

And at 763lbs, that is a big girl.

It would be interesting to see how it would run on a 2100. It would certainly be an interesting set up. LOL! :devil: I guess the amount of set-back needed might be a bit less. Hehehe. :D

They look amazing in person.

The extra weight might negate any of the extra gains from the extra 50 H.P. I would think though.

-Chris

I don't think it's just the 2008's with the coil issue.
You just reminded me about the noise factor. Mine is way too loud at mid throttle, even Idling it's louder then it should be. In my opinion even though they are performance types of engines the XS series should shut up till they are opened up. I like to talk to the other people in the boat if I'm only doing 25-35mph or less. Well forget it, unless you plan to shout.

I've read that the newer 300xs are actually a little quieter then the 250's while anything would help, I bet it's not enough.

I think you would really like a Verado.

The 250 and 300xs (only:rof:) weight 505lbs and we like to put them 10-15 inches off the back. Can you imagine what the extra 260lbs would do way out back there. Might even find that most brackets and jackplates can't handle them.

If you have to deal with that cost and weight penalty of that Yami, you might be better off getting Checkmate to build the transom for twin 300xs on a 2400. Almost as cheap and a 90+mph boat for sure.

The 250 and 300xs (only:rof:) weight 505lbs and we like to put them 10-15 inches off the back. Can you imagine what the extra 260lbs would do way out back there. Might even find that most brackets and jackplates can't handle them.

If you have to deal with that cost and weight penalty of that Yami, you might be better off getting Checkmate to build the transom for twin 300xs on a 2400. Almost as cheap and a 90+mph boat for sure.

Already checked into that for the 2400 and its not feasible due to the shape of the transom. I was looking at twin 200s in the beginning but cant get the correct spacing on this hull.

Must be, just like we start garbage threads... lol He's been working solely on Mercs and Mercruisers for over 20 years, so he must not know much. Maybe I should rephrase that. He told me that compared to the 250XS, the 300 is a much higher maintenance engine and he recommended that from a maintenance standpoint in saltwater, the 250XS was the way to go but he would gladly sell me a 300 if I so desired.... ;)

I was talking to Dean last week and they were rigging another 2400 with a 300 xs and he said it was like walking back in time when compared to rigging my 2400 w/ the verado. From what the merc rep was telling him they are not putting any new technology into the optis. for future improvments.

A 300 Optimax is a very, very strong running motor. Very light weight, quiet and gets good gas mileage. On a 21 or 24 an Opti is the way to go, due to the weight difference and speed difference. Nothing bad about the Verado, but the Opti is just a better package.

A 300 Optimax is a very, very strong running motor. Very light weight, quiet and gets good gas mileage. On a 21 or 24 an Opti is the way to go, due to the weight difference and speed difference. Nothing bad about the Verado, but the Opti is just a better package.

I agree the optis are good motors, merc is just not doing any r&d to evolve that platform from where its at today. Probably preparing for when ob's need to be catylist in 4 years.

jjg-what speeds are you getting with your Verado? I'm guessing it's going to be 8-10 mph slower than the 300xs. So let's pay a additional $5k for a motor, go 8-10 mph slower to get a few decibels quiet? Also, what is average mpg? I bet it isn't any better than the 300xs if even as good. Me, I'll keep my 300xs with over 300 hours. JMO

jjg-what speeds are you getting with your Verado? I'm guessing it's going to be 8-10 mph slower than the 300xs. So let's pay a additional $5k for a motor, go 8-10 mph slower to get a few decibels quiet? Also, what is average mpg? I bet it isn't any better than the 300xs if even as good. Me, I'll keep my 300xs with over 300 hours. JMO

Actually im at 73.1gps out of the box with a 23 tempest. Wildman was running 75 or so with the 300xs but that was set back at least twice as far as im running.
And im not even fully broke in yet. So really not that big of a difference imo.

73 mph is a very stout number. Your setup must be pretty close. That IS very close to what I would expect it to run with a 300 Opti. Nice boat!

Reactions: jjg
:bigthumb:
73 mph is a very stout number. Your setup must be pretty close. That IS very close to what I would expect it to run with a 300 Opti. Nice boat!

Thanks !!! Im going to try a 24 bravo. Being able to run the jackplate a little higher with that prop should get me close to 75.
You just have to drive the mutha ..... Thats all !!!:bigthumb:

Back